1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Firebox or Firepod?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by EricIndecisive, Jul 20, 2007.

1. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

Hey guys, I was wondering which one of these I should get. The extra $100 isn't a HUGE deal, but here's the thing:

I record my stuff alone, and at most I would be singing and playing guitar at the same time. This only takes up 2 inputs. Do you think that I should get the firepod with 8 just in case I need it? Or the firebox with 2 inputs and $100 less?

Does the firepod have better internals than the firebox, or is the only difference the number of inputs? I want a good clear signal to work with.

Also, I was wondering what your favorite ~$100 condenser microphones are. The only one I have used that I like is the AKG Perception 100.

2. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

I believe the two Presonus models use the same converters and pres.

Question is, will you ever record friends along with you? Will you ever record a band? Will you record yourself with more than 2 mics? If not, the FB would be perfect.

3. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

Hmm, you're right. Like condoms, I guess it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! I'll go for the firepod. My friend built a sick wooden thing for his. I will have to do one like it with some modifications for mic cords etc.

Any tips on condenser mics around $100?

4. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

Here's a tip, and you can quote me...save yourself time money and headaches and don't buy any condensers under $100.

Instead, get a Shure SM58 dynamic mic, it's quite versatile and you'll still end up using it later on down the road when you have nicer mics.

Just ask anyone here.

-Chris

5. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

Sorry about the time lapse...

The best mic under $100 would be the Shure SM57 (or SM58).

I don't care for AT mics, but there's the AT2020 at just about $100. Personally, I didn't like it, and had trouble practically giving it away!

6. silverspeedo

silverspeedo Guest

save 100$ and by AT 3035