1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Firepod and Expression Pedals?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by phishfly, Dec 21, 2005.

1. phishfly

phishfly Guest

Loving my firepod, but i want to be able to control wah/volume/other effects for my guitar in cubase sx. So i was thinking of buying a single unit midi expression pedal with a 1/4 in output. Can i use this to control wah effects and volume and stuff like that? Where would i plug the expression pedal into the firepod.

thanks so much,
    Phishfly

2. voidar

voidar Guest

You would plug a midi-pedal into a midi-port. Do you have that?

There are no expressionpedal-inputs for computers that I know of.

3. GregP

GregP Guest

I've done a lot of looking and have come up short. The expression pedals with the 1/4" are only for MIDI interfaces (ie. controllers). What they are is actually a volume pedal. The MIDI controller detects how much the voltage is being impeded and transforms this information into MIDI data. The pedal itself does not generate the data.

I eventually gave up and put an order in for an Edirol M50 keyboard, since I hope to play keyboard some, as well (and for keyboard drum-entry). I've seen older synths/controllers at used music stores for $100 that had expression pedal inputs.

Be careful, though: many will only have inputs for "sustain" pedals, which are only on or off, and not continuous.

Your other alternative is a whole MIDI footboard like the Behringer FCB1212 (or is it 1010? i can never remember). It also occurs to me that if you don't mind the wee pedal and dodgy build quality, you could get the V-Amp pedal. I believe it can send MIDI, but you'd have to double-check. And you'd get a few of the V-Amp models into the bargain while you're at it. ;)

Greg