1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

firepod/fp10 question ahh

Discussion in 'Recording' started by leSHok, Jun 30, 2009.

1. leSHok

leSHok Guest

So after months of using the now outdated firepod (because now it's all fp10) i bought an fp10 in hopes of setting it up with the firepod to record 16 tracks at once but now when i go to pick which device i want to record with it can be either the firepod or the fp10 and i am wondering if there is a way where it just makes itself into one device or would i have to switch from the firepod to fp10 when i want to record with one not the other?

im using cubase sx3 by the way and thanks!

2. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Did you download the daisy chain software update from Presonus? I belive you have to do that and assign one unit as Master (or #1) and then add the second unit so that it sees it through the first. Not sure if Firepod will do this with FP 10 but it should. The two units get tied together via firewire and the master goes firewire to the DAW

3. leSHok

leSHok Guest

thanks ill try that. i guess i figured they would just automatically do it themselves but ill get on that right now. thanks!!

4. leSHok

leSHok Guest

that did not work. now nothing works. :/
    the firepod and fp10 will not work together.

5. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

My take on the situation was that the Firepod and FP10 were the same thing, just a freshened image for marketing.

6. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

leShok "that did not work. now nothing works."
    Sorry exactly what did you do? Step by step. I think irt can easily be undone.

Bad news daisy chaining only works with similar units like FP10>FP10.

Presonus Forum Rick Navqi "Sorry but you can only daisy chain an FP10 to an FP10."

7. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

It was only a name change, the hardware didn't change, so even if he said you can only chain a FP10 to an FP10, since the firepod IS an FP10, it should still work. I did a quick search and found some other people who have done it successfully (although they were posting about other issues they had!). I recall that when I had two firepods, getting them to work together at first was a PITA (you really did have to follow the instructions line by line in order and not mess around with the process), but once they were set up, I never had to touch them again.

8. FlyBass

FlyBass Active Member

If it would help, there is software to convert the firmware of a Firepod into an FP10. Jeremy Pleasant over at PreSonus sent it to me and it changed mine. I was having S/PDIF connection issues and updating the firmware corrected the problem.

Try contacting PreSonus support and see if they can help.

Too bad I did save that file.

9. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

That quote was from the VP of marketing (Rick Naqvi) at Presonus so there may be a workaround but it may not come easily from Presonus's staff. Maybe you should contact Jeremy Pleasant direct. I have two Firestudio Projects daisy chained i did follow the directions, DOH! it worked right away.

10. leSHok

leSHok Guest

Yesterday I uninstalled all of the drivers for the FP10 and firepod and now only the fp10 works now and I need to find the drivers for the firepod. I guess I will email presonus for the drivers for the firepod and in the process ask for help daisy chaining the two products together. Thanks everyone!

11. Zoro

Zoro Guest

This is what I thought it needed to be done:
    1.- Update driver of Firepod/FP10
    2.- Update Firmware of both
    3.-Set them up in your DAW

I don't know if this will work but my understading was that a Firmware update is a must in order to make it work.

12. leSHok

leSHok Guest

i cant find the drivers for the firepod anymore only the fp10 has drivers on the website.

13. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

I still have my CD with driver v 1.2 on it, send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you. Unless that's illegal. Anyone know if that's illegal? It's just the driver file...

14. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Would this site help, Firepod drivers
    http://www.winexpertpro.com/presonus_firepod_2_14_3483.htm

15. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

It's not illegal but why wouldn't he email the VP who can help him upgrade the firmware to a compatible version?

16. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

I hear you jackattack.

jg, take a look at the link, it's not the driver, it a piece of software called "driver detective", and I don't know about you but I sure wouldn't install it on my machine.

17. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

OMG. Sorry .

18. leSHok

leSHok Guest

i emailed the guy and he gave me all these instructions which i followed and still nothing works. ive done this 4 times now. ive wasted hours of my time and it's really really annoying! ahh

19. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Did those directions include flashing the firmware of the Firepod?

20. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

Updating the firepod firmware seems to be the key:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1963259.html