1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Firestudio compatability

Discussion in 'Recording' started by lawnmowerdude6, Nov 30, 2008.

1. I am thinking about purchasing a Presonus Firestudio for my home studio. I currently have an M box 2 pro with protools le 7.4 and was wondering if the Firestudio would be compatible with protools without having to go through the m box. I feel like it should but im not sure. Thanks for the help

2. FlyBass

FlyBass Active Member

No.

You must have either a Digidesign product or an M-Audio product (who is owned by Avid, who owns Digidesign). I think you need ProTools M-Powered to run on an M-Audio interface.

Think of the hardware as a dongle.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

FlyBass is correct, but if you are so wedded to PT, you could consider using almost any other DAW software for tracking with the FireStudio and then importing your .wav files into PT for mixdown and other post-processing. By doing that, you could use PT for what it's good at while avoiding the worst bit of your setup - the Mbox pre-amps.

4. Would that have any effect on the quality of the sound quality by transfering it from say cubase, which is what the presonus comes with, to the protools?

5. StephenMC

StephenMC Member

If you don't use data compression (WAVs can be uncompressed), you're fine. Import at the same sample rate. That's part of the convenience of digital transfer: no lossy in transfer.

6. Awesome, thanks everybody.