1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

FireWire 800 Card for Windows

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by audiokid, Nov 30, 2014.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Looks like I need to upgrade my Windows box , I need a PCI FW 800 card, and/or is a PCIe the better slot. If I don't need to take an addition PCIe, I would save that for something else.
    Any recommendations? I've never bought something like this, do I just go to my local Computer store?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Go for a TI chipset on a PCIe card.

You are probably better shopping for this sort of thing on-line, when you can be reasonably certain of what you are buying and there is no salesman talking you into accepting a different type which he happens to have in stock.

This
    thread may help, although it was primarily about FW400.

pcrecord likes this.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

UA recommends the Allegro FireWire 800 PCIe for the Apollo 16.
    $69.95 plus shipping.

Edit: I see it has TI Chip as well. (y)
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrofirewire800pcie.html

4. rjuly

rjuly Active Member

I
    I went for the allegro, should arrive today.

5. rjuly

rjuly Active Member

installed. no muss, no fuss. Works. I am using it to connect my pc workstation to my Apollo Quad using the UAD firewire drivers. I am also able to connect the Apollo to my Mac Powerbook via the thunderbolt port using these same firewire drivers, but it is necessary to use a version 1 firewire card on the apollo - version 2 only supports thunderbolt drivers.