1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Firewire for PT Mac?

Discussion in 'Converters & Interfaces' started by RandomGuest, May 7, 2002.

1. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Last time I was at a Digi demo, I asked when Pro Tools was going to work on Firewire drives. Imagine my surprise when i was told it already did - up to 24 tracks.

I kind of forgot about it until today, I decided out of curiousity to try to open a small session directly from a LaCie 7200RPM 60GB firewire drive. However, I got an error message saying the drive was not compatible with Pro Tools.

Seeing as I think 7200 RPM is about as fast as firewire drives get these days, could it be that I need a version update (I'm running v. 5.1) for ProTools?
  2. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Hmmm ... good question. Try a search on the DUC. Either that or post there(scary thought).
  3. pan

pan Guest

Is there an "Oxford 911 Chip" in the LaCie?
    These are the only ones supporting enough bandwidth for audio.

4. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Hey, Pan!

What's with your avatar?

I don't really know what kind of chip is in the LaCie - probably not the right one! Another possibility is maybe I need to reinitialize with a Digi approved driver.

Haven't had much chance to experiment yet - not crucial because my UltraSCSI drive works fine for PT, and I've been using 3 firewire drives (60, 80, and 120 GB)just to juggle multiple projects on and off the UltraSCSI and have extra safety backup copies. Just thought I might save some juggling someday if I could run some small projects directly off the firewire.
  5. pan

pan Guest

I'm able to run 24+ tracks over firewire, but SCSI is still the safe way to go for recording, IMHO.

IDE/Firewire is the best way for backups yet, it's reasonably cheap and comfortably fast.

Check your firewire-version: Apple 2.8.5 of OS9.22 is the most recent and working for older OS as well.

Ah, YOU can see the Avatar? I cannot and was checking different picture-formats - will go back to .gif then ;)

cu, Niko
  6. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Well, I wouldn't say I can "see" it. What I get is the generic "broken picture" icon, or whatever it's called. Actually, I suppose that's kind of a cool avatar after all!