1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

First session with new equipment - advice?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Larry Sheehan, Jan 27, 2002.

1. After 3 years of having my choices limited by my lack of mic pres, I finally got a great river mp2nv and an API 3124+. I have my first session with this new equipment tomorrow and I'm hoping for some guidance on how to make the best use of the new pres.

I currently think I'll use the GR on overheads with Royer R121s, leaving the API for kick snare and room (room is 20x20x11). I plan on trying my Lawson L47s in Omni as the room mics. For Kick, I have a Beta 52, TLM103, At4033, and KSM32 to choose from, while on snare I've got 57s, SM81s, SM98s and KM184s available.

I'll be taking a DI from the bass guitar, and may also mic the cabinet.

In addition to the new pres, I stll have 4 channels of sytek, and the console pres (DDA DMR-12) which sound good themselves.

Is there anything glaringly wrong with my current strategy?

2. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Sounds good. Next time do something different. Repeat.

3. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Do what Tony said. If you have the time you might want to compare them before cutting the tracks.

4. Thanks both of you. I wound up swapping the GR to Kick/Snare, and used the API for overheads/room. I also used the Sytek w/SM98s to close mic the toms and a KM184 on HiHat because the song needed more hat than I was getting, but the rest of the kit sounded too good to move the overheads.

What a pleasure it is to work with a good drummer. It's been quite a while (I mainly work demos for local bands).