1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio Fix This Mix

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by audiokid, Apr 11, 2015.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Fix This Mix - Problem Based Learning Forums, where members share and debate recording gear and workflows to a better mix.
    • Registered members can upload their track via the Upload option located below your
    • Mixing engineers will chime in an discuss how they would improve your mix.
    File Format
    • mp3 320 bitrate or less.
    Does this sound like fun?

Its all about fun and sharing workflow. Don't take it too serious and this should be fun.
    It may not always leave you smiling, but it will definitely leave you thinking.

Show your love and "Like" this .

2. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

A great way for all of us to share and learn! Thanks Chris!
    ~Jeff

audiokid likes this.
  3. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

I think I love you. In a very manly way, of course. I better hurry.

audiokid likes this.
  4. simman

simman Active Member

Great idea!!!

5. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

@audiokid @Kurt Foster @Boswell @kmetal @pcrecord @paulears @Paul999 @Davedog @dvdhawk @thatjeffguy
    (and anyone else I forgot to mention)

Sure! I'll play :)

Here's one that my friend (and client) Terry and I have been working on for the past few days - there are lyrics to it, we just haven't gotten around to tracking any vox yet.... there will be lead vocals, and eventually, a fairly big backing vocal section, in a sort of R&B Gospel kind of style.
    Also, guitar, which will be tracked some time this week. We're just not sure what kind of guitar work we want yet.

It's a "jazzy - kinda - funky" thing, "You Ought To Be In Heaven", slated for this album of his that we are currently working on. I figured I'd get the ball rolling now on critiques for the instrumental backing we have so far...

Disclaimers...
    I played the B3 part, and as you will hear, I am NOT "a B3 player". Put in the most basic terms - cats like Greg Rolie, Matthew Fisher - and any of the other real B3 guys won't be losing sleep anytime soon. LOL

Terry played the other keys, I did bass and drums, and a little Rhodes. Terry and I both scored the brass.

Also, I mixed this pretty soft ( because I did it at 2 a.m. and didn't want to wake my girlfriend), so, it's possible that the low end may be too hot. (I listened through a pair of cans, but they are new, so I don't know yet if I can trust them).

Any and all critiques welcome! :)

OUGHT TO BE HEAVEN MAY 11 2015.mp3

Attached Files:

Kogwonton likes this.
  6. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

I agree the low end could be more controled and more presence would make it sound more alive.
    The whole drum is kind of missing attacks. Like you would have compressed it with a too fast attack and killed a bit too much of the transients. Of course it could be the tuning of the drum itself or how it was played...

I like the groove every instruments seem well performed. I can't wait to hear the evolution of this one ! ;)

7. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Here is a mix that I'm working on for a mix contest that shall remain nameless (unless you are familiar with this song or a particular brand of plug-in that shall remain nameless so it may give it away)...
    I've only mixed it in cans at present (its 4:15am in the morning here in Oz, so I didn't want to wake the whole house up)

I would appreciate members feedback, its totally ITB and still a work in progress at this stage, but will assist with the learning curve to hear anyones thoughts.

Attached Files:

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

http://recording.org/threads/critique-this-mix.58871/#post-431571

9. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Here is a collaboration I have been working on with a collegue in the US
    Its a cover of Floyds' Speak To Me / Breathe / On The Run
    I would appreciate any feedback / thoughts from members
    You may notice a little artistic license with this one, it is only a first draft and as its 1:38am in the morning here Sydney time I have only used cans so not to wake the household up

Attached Files:

10. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Let's face it, Sean - you didn't exactly pick the easiest of classic rock medleys to cover... LOL

It sounds like you have a little too much energy going on in the lower mid range; what we would refer to as "weight"...

The vocals could come forward more ... also the snare, which while not in your face and front and center on the original, is still pretty buried on your version.. The bass guitar seems a bit too hot... but then again, you've got a nice overall "warmth" going on, and there's no doubt that the DSOTM album was a very warm-sounding album; you've done a nice job - considering that you didn't have an EMI TG Desk, Studer A-80 tape machine, or the rack of envied gear that Abbey Road had (including pieces like the coveted Fairchild 660's and 670's, LOL) .

You did a very respectable job on the lead guitar - considering that on the original, a Fender double-neck pedal steel was used for the "lead solo" at 1:30, and, it was set up for an open D G D G B E tuning, so on your version, where you played it using a guitar, you have an interval/note missing on the intro harmony /slide lead part ( at 1:41),... still, you did a really good job with the performance...

I do think you're missing one crucial component, which is B3 ... there was so much of it all over that record...( I was really hoping you'd have that B3 swell, right before "Run, rabbit run"... )

As far as mixing, it's my suspicion that using headphones is probably not the best way to mix this. Have you tried mixing this with monitors instead? Headphones are ususally so skewed and hyped in certain frequencies and dimension (intentionally) so unless you have a set that are reference grade - which ain't cheap - it's probably a crap shoot when mixing thru them, and ultimately, I think you'd be better off using monitors.

But ...I say all of the above in reference to the original version, and while I understand there's almost always some artistic license involved when doing covers, especially of songs of this nature that are this classic, monumental, innovative and respected, I don't know how much of this was due to your recording situation/limitation, and how much of it was you wanting to make it your own version versus how true to the original you'd ultimately like to be. ;)

If you can, try remixing this through monitors and repost. :)

IMHO of course.

d.

Kogwonton, Sean G and pcrecord like this.
  11. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Dan (Kogwonton), who has joined us today on RO did those great guitar parts also.
    Thanks for the feedback Donny, we are in the process of remixing and hope to post an ammended track shortly.

12. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Here is a remix...
    It is Breathe as opposed to the medley...once all 3 are finished & together they shall be posted again as one.

Attached Files:

13. Kogwonton

Kogwonton Active Member

Great sounding bass.

14. Kogwonton

Kogwonton Active Member

I don't have a lap steel, so I had to make do with my MIM strat.

Sean G likes this.
  15. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Heres' all three together again

Attached Files:

Kogwonton likes this.