1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Floor tom/ Vocal Mic.

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Sethiroth, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Sethiroth

Sethiroth Guest

Hello all.

I'm not on a small budget, but I'm also not on a huge one.

I currently have a small diaphragm condenser mic for vocals.

For drums I have a set of condenser overheads, three SM57's and a Beta52 for the kick. I need to get one more Mic for the set. (Its a 5 piece)

I was just about to order a 4th Sm57 for my set but I had a thought and I want to get some advice on this.

Anyways, I was thinking that maybe I could kill two birds with one stone and get a mic for the floor tom that could be also used as a dynamic vocal mic?

Would that be ill advised? Should all of the close mounted tom mics be the same style? Is there a mic that would be worth owning that could handle a floor tom and vocals properly?

Thoughts? Suggestions on mics?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

Check check it!

Since most humans do not sing at the same frequency range of a floor tom this is a bit tricky my good fellow.

Atlas I emerge victorious, raising a Sennheiser md421mkII as a trophy from God herself, once again proving her love for man.

Now sit down, shut up, and enjoy a glass of serving up singles Kool Aid ........OHH YEAH!!

3. Sethiroth

Sethiroth Guest

I was looking for something to capture low voices with. My condenser mic for vocals that I have now does highs well, but its a little weak for lows.

4. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

My Rode Nt2 is my fav floor tom mic

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

A lot of people don't like Rode mics, I for one love them. Bang for the buck really fantastic stuff. NTK was my vocal mic until I upgraded to Blue's Kiwis, and I use them for overheads as well. Been hoping to find a classicII for a steal....and the beat goes on.

Still the MD421 is honestly the go to mic in this situation, great mic for any tom, most male vox, and just a mic that any closet wouldn't be complete without.

6. Link555

RODE NT2 has a terrible 5~7KHZ spike on it. Some people like it on the voice, others hate it. I thinks its best on drums. However I have used it on just about anything, and its ok.

The 421 is a great mic, love it on toms.

7. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

All good suggestions above. (I definitely like to try a 421 soon.) An EV RE20 is my favorite kick mic and you a great vocal mic. You can switch it around with the 52 and see where you like each best.

8. Link555

The RE20 is a great, great kick mic and voice over mic. I really need to get my own....