1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

FMR RNC or Drawmer DL241

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by coldsnow, Oct 31, 2001.

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Which would you prefere for program or overall mix compression before two track FMR RNC or Drawmer DL241? Why? Thanks

2. bgroup

bgroup Guest

Originally posted by coldsnow:
    Which would you prefere for program or overall mix compression before two track FMR RNC or Drawmer DL241? Why? Thanks

I own one of each. For 2-mix compression, I'd say the RNC. The RNC is very "transparent". It's quite possible to get 2 or 3 dB of compression (sometimes even more) from the RNC without really "hearing" it. The DL241 is a great inexpensive compressor IMO, but it's got a definite "sound". I like the DL241 a lot for things like trashy room mics, lo-fi drum loops, electric pianos, some guitars, etc. I would describe the Drawmer as being "dark" compared to the RNC. I'm not sure either of these would be your best choice for 2-mix compression, but the price is right, and I like both and use them for a lot of different things. Hope this helps.

Brent

3. Hev

Hev Active Member

What exactly is '2-mix compression'. I've heard the term a lot but don't fully understand. Could you shed some light for this non-pro? thanks

4. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

So is there an inexpensive alternative (around 1K)? 2 Mix is just a the stereo compression you add before sending your mixdown to a stereo (or two track)deck. (from another non-pro)

5. Southwind

Southwind Guest

I also own both and agree with bgroup. I use the RNC on 2-mix as well as on buses for multing off stuff like drums or backgrnd vox.
    I like the Drawmer a lot for what it is. I also use it on drums. To my ears it sounds better than DBX stuff, though I use them too.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I have some Acid Jazz clients, they like the pumping compression I got them using a Drawmer compressor...

:)