1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Focusrite 2i2 interface latency on Reaper

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by blackstars26, Apr 8, 2012.

1. blackstars26

blackstars26 Active Member

I have had my 2i2 audio interface for about a month now and have been getting to grips with some recording (I am using reaper).
    However I am unable to get rid of the latency. According the the Asio Configuration the input latency is 11.3 ms and the output is 16.3 ms.
    When I try reducing the buffer length it results in popping and clicking.
    I do have the latest driver installed and the older one deleted so it’s not down to that.
    If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated as its stopping me from properly recording.

2. sachit

sachit Active Member

I am quite certain that the Scarlett 2i2 offers direct hardware monitoring, which will have a near-negligible latency. Use that instead of monitoring through Reaper.

I can see that there's a Direct Monitor option on the 2i2, as seen on the connection diagram.

3. blackstars26

The volume of the direct monitoring is not really loud enough but does work without any latency.

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

You are asking more than is reasonable for a cheap interface an a non-tweaked non-specialized computer. Direct monitoring is the option that is designed into the 2i2 by the manufacturer. If it isn't loud enough then a solution would be a headphone amp. This will provide plenty of headphone juice. Besides, headphone amps are how it is done in a pro studio or semi pro home studio as well.

ART HeadAmp 4 | Sweetwater.com

5. blackstars26

Will a dirt cheap headphone amp surfice , as I wont be useing it for mixing, just for a volume boost?

6. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I gave a link to the cheap ART hp amp already.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. blackstars26

I'll take that as a yes then - thank you for your help.