1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Focusrite ISA 220 level settings

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Roswell-CS, May 4, 2004.

1. Roswell-CS

Roswell-CS Guest

Hey all --

When making sure im getting good levels into my Focusrite ISA 220,
    im wondering if i should go by the VU Meter or the Digital Input Meter?

I find that If i make sure the input on the VU is getting nice levels
    then i can get some nice low compression...

But if i go the other route and jack up the gain so im getting lots of signal on the Digital meter, then compression is impossible.. even at a +5db Threshold its compressing about -8db... and the O/L light keeps flashing.

Is the digital meter more for the A/D option?

2. slicraider

slicraider Guest

well first off I would forget about paying all that much attention to the meters. I would go by what my ears said. I've often gotten a great sound only to look and see some whacked out meter readings. It seems like you have a sound that you like when you get it to a certain point on the VU meter. I would go there and then forget about meters and fine tune with your ears. As for the serious compression I have looked over and seen the same on an LA2A or 1176 and everyone thought the sound rocked so I left it. Just remember that you can't undo heavy compression so make sure the sound is working in the track.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I did a topic name change for better results. The title "Focusrite ISA 220 level settings" is a much better title for this topic than "Pre Amp Question".

Cheers!