1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

For anyone using an Aardvark Q10 ..... is yours quiet?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Barkingdogstudios, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

Oct 29, 2003
    I have two Aardvark Q10's and like them a lot. Up until recently I had never tried to "offload" sounds from them onto other media (in this case digital audio tape on a DA-88) so the "background" noise that was coming out of the monitor and the other 8 outputs never really bothered me. It didn't get into the recordings either so that wasn't a problem.

But now, I'm trying to transfer some recordings onto the DA-88 and the noise in all but the front headphone output makes this impossible. I suspect the noise isn't coming from the Q10 itself because if I increase the monitor level the "noise" doesn't get louder. Also, the headphone output on the front of the Q10 is as quiet as can be. I think it's some part of my PC system that is the source but where do I start looking?

If I had to describe the sound it would be like distorted pink noise that changes in pitch and intensity whenever I move the mouse or open a window. It's especially loud when I first open SONAR.

Any thoughts? Would a video card cause noise interference? Other parts of the system? I have disabled any and all "resident" sound sources on the computer (like the onboard sound card). Only the Q10 is active.

Oh, and I have also "isolated" the unit so that I'm fairly certain it isn't magnetic interference from a power cord or transformer.

2. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Oh, and I am going to create a .WAV of the sound so that I can send it to people who would be willing to help me figure out what's going on.
  3. McBass

McBass Guest

Q10 noise

I had a similar problem with My Q10's. unfortunately I never found a solution. I spent hours and days toubleshooting and in the end I got rid of the Q10's. Sorry I can't be of more help but, I feel for you. Can this sort of thing be why Aardvark is in it's current sate?!!
  4. Pez

Pez Active Member

Dec 27, 2002
    I haven't seen this to be a problem with the Q10. I think it's somewhere else in your system.