1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Fostex D2424 skips in playback

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jmsokol, Feb 13, 2005.

1. jmsokol

jmsokol Guest

I have a pair of Foxtex D2424 which I've used for the last two years to record dozens of projects successfully, some with both decks locked together for 48 tracks. I always use an external box to generate wordclock, and typically fly in 16 or 24 tracks of ADAT using Steinberg 8IO converters and occasionally use the first 8 analog input with with 16 digital inputs. This has worked perfectly up until a few months ago, where I recorded an outside remote using 16 channels of ADAT inputs and 2 channels of Analog inputs at 24 bits and 48 kHz. Now, whenever I try to play back these 18 tracks, I get consistant skipping every few seconds. That is, it acts as if there were multiple dropouts in the recordings. There's no ticks or pops, there's just sections where a few seconds appear to have be skipped over in recording. Note that we always do a full format of the drives before each project, and that we verify all clock sources before recording.

I've since recorded a few other projects on our other HDD's which worked properly, but I really want to recover this lost recording if at all possible.

In desperation, I've completely disconnected the D2424 from all other clocks and lightpipes, and I still get the skipped playback from the analog ports running on the internal workclock. Looking through the manual, I've tried to optimize the disc, but just get a VOID! error.

Any hints or suggestions as to what I could be missing to make this play back properly? Did the HDD just decide to go into some nasty T-Cal mode during recording that I never knew about? Perhaps the time-code board went on the fritz? Any thoughts as to settings to look at? I've gone though everything I can think of, and either the recording itself has been trashed, or I'm missing something obvious in the playback setup.

Thanks for any brainstorming you can offer.