1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Fostex MR 8

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SH1RYO, Oct 1, 2015.

1. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

Hi everyone I am new to this forum I'm hoping for some good help. So I just acquired a Fostex mr8 and I was wondering how to set it up. I did some recordings but can't figure out how to turn on the metrodone and if I mess up a part how to go back and fix it without redoing the whole track.

2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

You can find the owner's manual here ( free):

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/53287/Fostex-Mr-8.html

Start by reading the entire manual, and then get back to us with any specifics you still may not understand.

This video, while not instructional, does explain the various functions of the recorder, and it will probably help you a little bit:

audiokid and kmetal like this.
  3. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

Thank you for the link Donny.

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

You're welcome. Refresh this window, I've edited my post since, to add a video which explains the various functions of the MR8; which will help you some.
    It's not an instructional/how-to video, though, so you'll still want to read the manual.

-d.

5. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

Well I got rid of the fosred mr8 and now I got a boss be 1180 but does not have the cd burner is there away I can add one or send all tracks to my PC

6. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I have the BR-1180CD, I could be wrong but I don't think you can add a CD burner to the unit if it didn't come with one like the BR-1180CD version.
    If the BR-1180 has an optical out at the rear as the BR-1180CD has, if you have an interface with the same you may be able to connect the two using a lightpipe which would allow you to transfer your audio to your PC via the interface if it has an optical input.
    Another option - if you have a mixer with RCA inputs is to run out of the RCA outputs of the BR-1180 into the stereo return RCA inputs of the mixer then to your interface or direct to your PC if the mixer has a USB send/return.

7. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

The image below shows the BR-1180 does have a digital out like the BR-1180CD

Attached Files:

8. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

The BR-1180 is user-upgradable to a BR-1180CD. Ask your dealer.

9. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

I took out the panel from beneath the recorder there's a hook up I think to add a cd burner to it I'll add pictures here soon and thanks for all the info

10. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

There you go, you learn something new every day:)

11. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

Here's the picture

Attached Files:

12. Boswell

Hurry, while you can still get CD writers that have an IDE interface.

13. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

Where can I get that? Boswell.

14. Boswell

I think Ebay may be your friend in this instance. Here's an example. I'm NOT necessarily saying this is the correct drive for your Boss unit, but it gives you a place to start looking.

15. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

16. Boswell

That looks to me like a replacement for a faulty drive. I would be doubtful about it being useful where there was no original drive installed, but there's no harm in contacting the seller to check.

17. Boswell

Here's the CDI-BR-1 upgrade manual. From this, it looks as though the type of CD drive is very specific and a standard PC drive cannot be used. There is an adaptor board and cable that only comes with the original 1800CD unit or with a genuine Boss CDI-BR-1 upgrade.

18. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

Can't find it

19. Boswell

Can't find what?

20. SH1RYO

SH1RYO Active Member

Boss cdi br1 burner