1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Front Panel Engraving

Discussion in 'Electronic Repairs & Modifications, DIY' started by synthetic, Nov 21, 2002.

1. synthetic

synthetic Guest

Hey Gyraf, or anyone, how do you do those nice engraving jobs on your front panels? Like this:

Do you use a stencil or laser print to trace on the letters and then use a dremel to write it out? Or do you dremel through a metal stencil? What's the trick? Thanks, -jl
  2. hmr

hmr Guest

i'm sure jakob can explain it in more detail but...

as far as i know gyraf boxes are engraved using a special machine (i can't remember what they are called) - you trace larger letters or graphics by hand and the arm mechanically moves the engraving tool to follow you on a small scale...

you can sort of see it here:

3. hmr

hmr Guest

some other people have had success using engraving shops - the ones that do plaques and trophys etc...
  4. gyraf

gyraf Guest

Yep, it's a "Gravograph" IM-3 pantograph engraver. Best piece of equipment I've ever invested in. Impossible to live without, once you've tried it..

Jakob Erland
  5. Viitalahde

Viitalahde Guest

How much did you pay for one? Just curious..
  6. gyraf

gyraf Guest

I have two, an IN2 and a IM3. Both were bought used: the IN2 was ~3500DKK (~460us$), the IM3 was ~5000DKK (~670us$) including two sets of letters. The New price (IM3) is around ~20.000DKK, (~2700us$)including one set of letters.

Not really expensive, considering the price you pay for having it engraved at a shop. But time-consuming: it takes me about 2 hours to do e.g. a G2-frontplate..

Jakob E
  7. hmr

hmr Guest

thanks for the info jakob - i was always facinated by the photos of that device...

personally, i don't think i'm making enough stuff to warrant getting one... but a very nice peice of kit none the less!

8. kent

kent Guest

I did some scouting around eBay last night and they have some reasonably priced used stuff but I don't know what's good or bad. Jakob, what size letters do you use?

I'm thinking Christmas present to myself smile.gif

9. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001

Now where is this weeks Trading Post ?
  10. synthetic

synthetic Guest

Hmmm, I guess I have to find someone who already has one. Or maybe I'll get creative. Thanks for the info.
  11. cjenrick

cjenrick Active Member

Nov 15, 2002
    I am doing the art work for the LA2A front panel right now on the computer. These will be files that you can print on your ink jet printer using clear panels. You would then use the panels to develop your own silkscreens or you could give the panels to a professional screener. The screener would charge a lot do the art work for you so this would save a lot of money. If anybody is interested drop me a line and I can email the files , sans the United Audio trademark.
  12. gyraf

gyraf Guest

The letters I use are ~15mm in size. The IM3 pantograph engraver will do ratios from 2:1 to 8:1, giving me letters from 1.8mm to 7.5mm. The scales and Gyraf-Logo are made by hand.

Jakob E
  13. kent

kent Guest

Thanks for that!

14. synthetic

synthetic Guest

OK, that's out. Has anyone done front panel silkscreening? Is that something that can be easily and cheaply done at home?
  15. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    The etcher sounds cool, but to me that's a luxury item at that price. And as for silk screen, I did some when I was in highschool. Pain in the ass, mine never turned out that good, and unless you're doing a lot of that same panel, it's probably wasted effort. I'd rather to some sort of transfer or hand paint job in that case. But I'm so lazy I've convinced myself the raised-letter label tapes are aesthetically pleasing, so you might not want to rule it out.

Here's a faq which has basics of stompbox building, and has a good section on pro quality painted finishes. This is on Jaime Heilman's (in)famous Leper's Schematic page.

I should have mentioned this one before, but if you're stomp box inclined R.G. Keen's Guitar Effects page is essential. There is an article on psychedilic paint swirling, though, if you want something really wild in your rack. Also of interest for guitar effects is Jack Ortman's page.

16. kfray

kfray Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Binghamton NY
    Chris does your offer still stand if so, could you email me the artwork files for the LA2A front panel sans the United Audio trademark? kfray@stny.rr.com Your email address is no longer valid
  17. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Oberlin, OH
    Home Page:
    There are laser engravers that can engrave on virtually anything, Here is some information.Laser engraving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Usually in any large city their are engraving shops where you can get this done. It looks GREAT by the way.
  18. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Moderator (Distinguished Member) Resource Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Akron/Cleveland, OH
    Home Page:
    Guys, this thread is like 11 years old... expecting people to have the same email addies or to still frequent here is probably a stretch.

Also, considering the OP was back in 2002, I'd think that in over a decade, vast improvements have probably been made in terms of graphics and computerized engraving, as Thomas has pointed out...

just sayin'...