1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Further question regarding building an audio PC

Discussion in 'Recording' started by GavinMajesty, May 25, 2006.

1. GavinMajesty

GavinMajesty Guest

Right, my original plan for the CPU was AMD 4200+ 64bit however, the 3800+ 64bit is £70 cheaper.

I've got a load of foreign quests (metal festivals and such), and the extra £70 saved would be cool.

Now, my music is heavy metal. i use Drumkit from Hell superior, Kontakt 2 and my pod XT pretty much.

DKFH, i bounce down and import as audio and have VERY LITTLE realtime midi processing going on. I also rarely use effects besides reverb and compression as well as some noise gates. If i want to use delayes and such, i track with them on from the pod. But that said, i'm a very purist guitarist. Guitar - amp/pod - Ear/Harddisc.

will the 3800+ hold me for my usage 90% audio work with like a vgew compressors, reverbs and such or is the 4200+ a MARKED improvement over the 3800+?

Any opinions would be great. I realise going with the best i can afford is going to be a general opinion here but i'm not wanting to go Overkill and buy huge power i won't nessiscarily use.

The type of mixes i create at the moment...

an example is here..

That was created on this laptop here. 1.7ghz celeron and 1gb ram.

The only real difference is in my own songs, i use a lot of strings, choirs etc (hence Kontakt), but ALWAYS bounce them to audio before importing into a project.

anyhoo... Opinions please!

2. GavinMajesty

GavinMajesty Guest

3. Norville

Norville Guest

Assuming the same core, cache etc on the 2 chips, the 4200+ will be about 10% faster on raw clock speed. Depends a lot on what you are doing, but i doubt you would notice a lot of difference between the 2. I'd put the $70 into something else - better ram, faster HD whatever.
  4. GavinMajesty

GavinMajesty Guest

Lol, if this proves the point a bit more, it's £70 which is 131USD