1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

G4/001 vs. laptop/M-Box and other hardware issues???????

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Sir Bob, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Sir Bob

Sir Bob Member

Okay, if I track my initial drum tracks at a recording studio, I can do the rest at home with merely an M-box. It might be nice to have more flexibility with the Digi 001 and I probably could afford to get both. The M-box with minimal latency sounds pretty cool.

Moreover, I suspect regardless of which way to go (or both), I need to get an outboard word clock and/or an outboard AD converter. I currently use a Rosetta when mixing to DAT. But I wonder if I ought to get a better one from all the talk on this forum.

Lastly, I probably will get the Distressor and Fatso. Any more requirements? :confused:

2. Sir Bob

Sir Bob Member

Here's an update: I learned that there is a reason that the M-box can only record two tracks at a time. That is a limitation of the USB, not the M-box.

3. Don't forget that the other limitation with the MBox and the Mac soundmanager is you can only get 16 bit, while the Digi can give you 24 bit.

I have a pair of Digis and they're great. I also have used a bunch of USB inaterfaces and I feel it's really a limited approach compared to the Digi.

4. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

Hold tight, Bro. Don't jump on the digi001 rip-off wagon yet! A new feature will be on RO in about a week that'll blow your socks off! You will be able to have a system that'll blow away a G4/001 for a lot less cash.

5. Hmmm... some misinformation, there. Mbox has 24-bit converters & Focusrite mic pre's (which FWIW sound much better than the 001's no-name pre's). The 16-bit (& 44.1K) Sound Mgr (Mac) limitation referred to above pertains to only PT Free, not PT LE/Mbox.
    No lie about the 2-in, 2-out limitation. And, Lightpipe I/O on the 001 can be handy, espec. if you fork out for a DigiMax pre (or have an ADAT lying around)!
    Also be aware (not that this is a bad thing or espec. deceptive) that the "zero-latency" stuff is merely direct monitoring of the interface's input through its output - so it will be "dry". Any monitoring THROUGH PT mix evironment equals A/D/A convert delay (approx. 3 ms) plus whatever SW mix delay (also affected by CPU power, plugs, track count, etc.). This is true with PT/LE or any other host-based DAW (as opposed, say to TDM systems or other using dedicated DSP hardware).