1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

G4 733 -> Dual 1GHz, Will I see a significant difference

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mjones4th, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. mjones4th

    mjones4th Active Member

    Hi all,
    I'm considering a processor upgrade for my Quicksilver 733. My options are dual 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 GHz cards. They're priced at $599, 789, and 1189, respectively. I don't have 12 big ones to blow, so I'm leaning toward the dual 1.0.

    My question is will I see a significant difference from my current 733? I'm still on OS 9, but I'm preparing to switch within the next 3-6 months. Will I see a greater difference on OS X since the OS handles dual processors better? Anyone with experience here?

    Also I'm considering a G3 900 ZIF for my B&W, to enable it to host some OS 9 VSTi's, to ease my transition into X. Good strategy?

  2. Hypothesis

    Hypothesis Guest

    My advice would be : consider getting a PC ! :) You will gain MUCH more performance for considerably less money... and the possibilities are endless... I have both G4/733 with OS X (for video editing) and AMD Athlon Barton 2500+ and AMD is ZILLION times faster... not to mention cheapear... I must emphasise that I'm NOT a MAC hater ! Macs are great in their own way... just a bit overpriced... If you're into AUDIO, don't think about it much... Configure a PC DAW just to do the audio stuff, and you will get A HELL of a stable machine & stellar performance, for which you would have to pay 3 times more in the MAC world... Just my point of view... CHeers... :)
  3. mjones4th

    mjones4th Active Member


    I agree PCs are much cheaper, however I have made the platform choice already. I'm IT, so I get to see Windows' underbelly eight hours a day, five days a week, fifty-two weeks a year. I'll tell you though, I do enjoy a good challenge, and Windows always gives me one.

    My mac is uber-stable. And I'm only now starting to really push its limits, but then again, my compositions are simple. I demoed Space Designer whe Logic 6.3.1 was released, and it chewed my G4 up for lunch. Time marches on, and I must move to the beat. So I'm trying to decide on which upgrade I should go for.

    But thanks for the advice anyway.

  4. stefhambrook

    stefhambrook Guest

    Hi mitz,

    I've got a dual 1G mac and I regularly do mixes on logic 6 and six or more altiverbs. Convolving reverbs us CPU proportional to their length and, I admit, a lot of my verbs are short ambiences. I might use a plate on the vocals, a room on the kit plus something for the snare, some short ambiences and a spring on guitars all with altiverb. I don't usually start freezing stuff unless I'm using software instruments. I've not used a slower mac but I'm not exactly yearning for more power yet. :)

    Also there's a well published workaround for using the second processor more in logic. ;)

    Is the space designer rock stable BTW?
  5. mjones4th

    mjones4th Active Member

    I know, that's why I want one! And it gets better in OS X so they say.

    About as good as it gets.

    I don't want to get the new dual 1.4 that powerlogix just put out, because at that price, I could save up $500 more bucks and get a g5 1.6. Should I save my energy and do that anyway?



Share This Page