1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

gain control for NEVE preamp

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by coldsnow, Jun 1, 2001.

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

I'm putting together a 1272 class A from the 183 circuit and the input and output transformers. Is there anyway to avoid building the gain switch? Would a 5k pot work instead, like the one on the output?

2. MPlancke

MPlancke Member

If you want to be faithfull to the classic
    Neve sound, then you need a dual switched pot
    with resistors that change the gain of the two stages. Like the 1073, except the 1272 doesn't have a third gain stage.

You can install a pot which some 1272's had in them when they were used as talkback amps, etc.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Mark, they all had/have "trim pots" [1272's that is]...some of them have knob caps, most are recessed and often behind a rubber plug so nobody ^#$%ed with the pot.

Coldsnow, if you have a drawing/manual section for the 1272...follow it. If you don't, get one.

4. MPlancke

MPlancke Member

Originally posted by Fletcher:
    Mark, they all had/have "trim pots" [1272's that is]...some of them have knob caps, most are recessed and often behind a rubber plug so nobody ^#$%ed with the pot.

Okay, I was talking about the 1272's that have an actual volume control knob on the outside which takes that gain down to zero and up to the limit.

I have a 1272 with a factory installed gain pot like this.

I had always assumed the ones with the recessed pot were simply trim controls which would allow you to change the overall gain +/-6db or so.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Originally posted by MPlancke:
    I had always assumed the ones with the recessed pot were simply trim controls which would allow you to change the overall gain +/-6db or so.

An incorrect assumption. It's the same pot, just has a shorter shaft and requires a screwdriver for changing the level. If you relocate the mounting of the pot from the "underplate" to the "faceplate" and put a knob cap on it...change a couple of internal resistors...you have the quintessential "repackaged 1272".