Gear available

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Cucco, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Hey guys -

I've made a decision that I didn't take very lightly, but I felt had to be made...

I will be selling a few pieces out of my mastering suite if anyone is interested. Basically, while I enjoy mastering, I simply haven't been getting a lot of clientelle and the vast majority of the stuff I get is poorly mixed hip-hop which I don't like anyway. I will still be doing mastering, but I'm in the process of revamping. In the mean time, I think it's foolish for me to sit on some great pieces of gear when what I really need is more mics and pres for the location recording gig! can find the following gear on ebay:

Manley Vari-Mu (one of the original ones with the 6386 tubes - recently retubed and recapped by Paul at Manley). This is the non-detented version hence the affordable price!

Crane Song Ibis - non-detented version. I REALLY hate to see this one go, but it must.

Waves MaxxBCL - for the conversion and brick-wall alone, this is worth the money. This unit is in brand-new condition and includes original manual and box.

Here's the link to my page:

Sorry if this comes off as spam - I think you know me well enough to know this is definitely not spam. I posted it here rather than "Buy and Sell" since it's highly topical gear. If you must move, please feel free.

Cheers all!

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    Jeremy, I'm really sorry to hear that the mastering thing hasn't quite panned out the way you expected. I really didn't want to do hip-hop either and so, business is not what it could be if I was willing to be that kind of prostitute.

I'm actually going to try and get my remote truck fixed up with an interior makeover and other digital recorders and computers to enhance the vintage Neve console and API outboard preamps within. Because of my previous brain condition, I haven't been able to utilize it so, it has been sitting quietly for the past couple of years. So now I have a newly repaired brain and a new domain name with a site coming soon to I just wanna' record more jazz and rock-and-roll, not to mention some country, bluegrass and orchestral and operatic material. It used to be fun, sitting inside the truck, downstairs underneath the Kennedy Center concert hall, while recording.

And when I decide to close down and liquidate the Neve, will serve well when I start to part it out, which basically, immediately includes, the second console that I am now ready to begin parting out, not the one that is currently installed. So this isn't exactly spam either. But anybody interested in vintage Neve modules, might consider dropping me an e-mail? Modules available are 3415 (summing and line amplifier convertible to microphone preamp) 3115 microphone preamp/equalizer module (similar to a 33115 different colored knobs) and the 3724 (I/O module with 4 effects sends with stereo and 4 track busing, which can also be modified into a microphone preamp console strip) currently accepting offers. Inquiries can drop me an e-mail.

Let's get together sometime Jeremy?

Nutty Neve Lady
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    Well that sucks, Jeremy. I'll send out the clarion call on your stuff to some homies.

It's a b**ch of a market right now though, no doubt. I wouldn't start a mastering place - I wouldn't even start a recording studio right now. Too many DIY'ers out there wondering why their recordings "don't sound like pro recordings" already.
  4. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Thanks Remy and John!

The funny thing is - I really DO enjoy mastering, but I've got such a back-log of recording going on right now, I don't really have the time to devote to it either.

So, while it sucks that I'm *kinda* hanging up my hat, it's not like I'm having to lick my wounds and head home tail between my legs.

The cool thing is, I'm getting so much classical business now, I'm having to turn some away!

I just got booked for August to record an internationally known small ensemble as well as to give a seminar on small ensemble recording at a clinic in Daytona Beach later this year. (More details to come, but I'm under contract not to discuss the artist until AFTER the recording.) Also, I'm recording a professional choral ensemble later this month on a concert of all premier works of living (and present-in-the-audience) African-American composers! And...I just picked up a major university as a recording client....

That, and my horn playing gig is picking up with a lot more freelance gigs too....

While it genuinely sucks to have to shut down a portion of my life which I just opened up a few months ago, it's definitely a choice of priorities!

BTW -
    If any of the regulars here are interested in the Waves piece (which, BTW is a WONDERFUL piece of gear), it's on Ebay, but I doubt it will sell. I will DEFINITELY give a hell of a deal to regulars here! (It's in absolutely brand new condition!)

Remy - I agree - we need to get together and chat. I'm in DC all the time, just let me know a day when you have some free time and we'll get some good food and ale!
  5. TrilliumSound

TrilliumSound Active Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Montreal, Qc, CANADA
    Home Page:
    Well, Jeremy, I think you said it, it is a matter of priorities and obviously you deal with it pretty good. You seem busy and happy with that and thats all it counts. This that does not mean that you have to stop thinking "Mastering" as one of your goals, this will surely comes back as priority #1 later on. Gear is gear, that is the easiest part to get in this business.

All the best!

6. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Distinguished Member

Sep 12, 2002
    NYC New York
    Home Page:
    Well Jeremy, sounds like you can make decisions and leave the baggage home. It's hard to close down something for whatever reason, but in this case it'll probably be financially harder not to close it down. focus on the more successful aspect and let it fold back in down the line if it makes sense. In the meantime, wish you great success on the projects you have lined up.