1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

general purpose condenser pair?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Clowd, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Clowd

Clowd Guest

Hey guys, it's time to buy the initial start-up mics for our studio, I have everything picked out, but I'm having trouble deciding on some general purpose condensors, for drum overheads, room micing, acoustic guitars, etc... I'm leaning towards the R0DE NT1-A, but I don't see a way to order a matched pair?

2. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

multi-pattern, dewd.
    I know it's a stretch when you're just starting out, but multipattern mics are SOOOO much more versatile than cardioids - your investment will go much farther.

My first multipattern LDC mics was a pair of Studio Projects C3s, and they've served me well. I still use them often. I upgraded this summer to a pair of Rode NT2000s - not matched, but plenty close for stereo work.

I started off with a couple pair of cardioid mics, but I feel like I didn't REALLY start learning the fun stuff until I got the C3s. It's a whole other world.

Figure-8 is a kewl pattern - you can play some neat games with figure-8 mics.

3. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I agree with multi pattern, especially if you're just starting to fill the mic locker. It is gonna be hard to find anything sold as a matched pair. I vote for AT4050's, the poor man's U87.

4. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

The Rode NT2A is also a nice mic (the NT2000 without the knobs). I almost went with NT2A, but being a fan of multipattern I could not resist the flexibility of the VARIABLE pattern NT2000.

5. aracu

aracu Active Member

Great versatile multipattern small condenser is the Sennheiser
    800. Very high output, and extended high frequency range. If
    placed too close to an instrument they can pick up too much
    detail, which can sound harsh and unnatural, otherwise they can be
    surprisingly smooth and open sounding.

6. aqualand666

aqualand666 Guest

yeah i wouldn't say that small diaphragm mics like the rode nt5's are general purpose by any means, but they are pretty good.

7. birdyyellow

birdyyellow Guest

check out the akg 414's. they are known to be great on almost every source. they can even be bought in matched pairs.