1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Getting into the business? How?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by BennisHahn, Oct 4, 2003.

1. BennisHahn

BennisHahn Guest

Hey everyone,

Over the past 1.5 - 2 years I have really gotten into recording my own stuff. It's a blast and, although I am no stellar musician, I love mixing, anything. I just recently got my hands on come very basic equipment, so I am going to play with that, but it can only take me so far.

My real question is, how can I immerse myself in the recording business? I don't want to be a mastering engineer, I just want to lay down, arrange, and eq the tracks. I would like to see this done somehow, to see if I could really do it for a living. I don't really want to go off to college (I'm only 15) taking courses based on me taking a job in this line of work, find out it's not for me, and waste that time and money.

So, anyone have any ideas that can steer me in the right direction?

2. pandamonkey

pandamonkey Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    You could always call a couple of recording studios in town and see if they could use you as a volunteer. Hanging around these places can provide you with a lot of knowledge. In places like Vancouver, we have a few production clubs around town where people get together and talk. These are also great if you have any where you live. Go on the hunt for other home based producers around your town and start working with them. You can always learn a lot of one another. Althought the first suggestion might sound great on paper, quite often studios are a busy place and you may not be able to volunteer in any capacity that allows you to watch the flow of work... If this is the case, hire an engineer in town to mix a few of your tracks, pay him or her a few hundred bucks and sit in with them while working on your material. Consider that class. Take notes, ask a million questions and make yourself seem eager. Who knows, that could work out for you too!
    By the way, I went to one of "those schools", and of course, if you take a full blown course, it could be a waiste of money in many ways. What about taking one evening class per semester? You can then hand pick only the classes that you want as they appeal to you!
    Finally, I wish I could have been producing when I was 15, you're really lucky to get in at such an early age. You dedicate 10 years of your spare time to audio production and you could be a stud in the industry by 25.
    Good luck,