1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Getting into the business ?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by sirchick, Apr 14, 2008.

1. sirchick

sirchick Active Member

Hey,

I wanted to know how people get into the business, working in music is such fun and so much to learn which keeps me busy!

How ever, I cannot get to university to learn it, didn't do good enough, and im getting to old to keep re-trying. Are there other alternatives to getting jobs in this business without a degree?
    Is 4 years of pure experience working in the business whilst learning better than 4 years of university and little work experience in the business?

Do people find young "newbies" wanting a peice of the music industry experience appealing or do most prefer an already educated person with a degree?

I have asked around and have been getting 50-50 results. So it looks like its theres no main one, but if you have no degree how to you get into the industry thats what im mainly asking here!

Hope you have some helpful infomation for me!

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

You don't need a degree to befriend a local studio owner or engineer.
    Buy him or her a beer and ask questions - build up a repertoire with those already working.

and / or

Go to shows and find some local bands that are willing to give you a few bucks or will put your name on their cd sleeve in return for recording a song or two... There's plenty out there.

3. bent

Again, my opinion - hell yes!

4. multoc

multoc Active Member

It's all about who you know

5. sirchick

sirchick Active Member

Well no one, other than this forum! My area is not the most umm muisic booming place to be I would ideally like to move to london to get right stuck in, but just cannot afford to.

6. bent

Sites like this might be a good step in the right direction:

Rock Bands That Might Be Near Sirchick...

Might be a shot in the dark, but ya never know.

Look for the bands that open for the ones listed if they appear inaccessible. Go to some shows, hand out business cards.

Make some calls!

Start your own local scene / network - it's not as hard as it sounds.

The hard part is keeping it together once it's established...

7. sirchick

sirchick Active Member

But with nothing more than a year of learning on my pc, i cant really have a business, though is that the only way to meet studio producers etc to work with them ?

8. bent

Network first.

Talk to people, record a few local musicians on spec (or for a few pints).

Run a live show or two - or two hundred....

(I'm not makin' this up - this is how I started)

8)

9. sirchick

sirchick Active Member

damn, so it seems like i have to act like i know what im doing even though i don't to record these musicians :p

10. bent

You must know something or you wouldn't be here, right?

I mean, there's a reason I'm not a member of any forums dedicated to Hawking Radiation or Schrödinger's cat (though I've read about it)...

11. mwacoustic

mwacoustic Guest

Actually, Ben - you both are and aren't a member of that Schrodinger's Cat forum. At least until which time you try to log on...

12. multoc

multoc Active Member

Ha well start working on your networking, you'd be surprised how it happens.

Me i've got my connections through my parents being flight attendents and throw my name around.

That's how i got to be friends with John Legend's band, more specifically his drummer. I'm workign with electronics so at some point i'll be doing programming work with him.

13. bent

Haha!

Mark, I should have seen that coming!

:lol:

14. sirchick

sirchick Active Member

Good point but doesn't im physically able to record of high standard :p I do try my best though.

15. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

This may be true, but in string theory, Ben is the Cat.

16. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

I thought that Ben was a rat.

[youtube:b41cf99942]http://www.youtube.com/v/LrFThZgZ9Nw[/youtube:b41cf99942]

17. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Fake it till you make it!

18. krazykorg

krazykorg Guest

Sirchick….

This forum (along with other excellent ones) have a wealth of great information for newbies. Get some books and study them too.

Way back when I started, I bought some cheap used, low end gear and started making my own recordings. There’s a lot of inexpensive gear out there that will help you make some decent sounding recordings. I did that for a while and started passing out demos to people. The more I practiced, the better I became and eventually a few people started asking me to record them. I did it at a low price just to get the experience. As I got better I was able to get my hands on some higher end gear. The word got out that I was doing recording and pretty soon I was asked to do a full demo CD for a local jazz duo. I took the money from that and invested in some even higher end gear and my client base expanded more.

Just practice, read, learn, ask questions and practice some more. Start low end and build yourself up. There’s a young guy in my area who is starting out and because he is so enthusiastic, polite and professional, I regularly invite him down to my studio to work with me on a project so he can learn.

By the way, it will be fun to listen to yourself progress as you gain experience. I just came across some 10 year old demos I recorded when I started out and we all had a hoot listening to them. Keep all your old stuff and you can actually hear your progress!

Good luck!

19. MisterT

MisterT Guest

Hey Sirchick,

What is it you want to do? As you know there are many jobs to choose from.
    If it's the record label side of things the check out this site http://www.independentmusicstartup.com/recordlabelguide.html. It will give you downloadable book with information on how a record label works and what to do if you was running one or working in one.

20. GnzlO

GnzlO Active Member

krazykorg remind me how i start on this music world, and it's true what he said. In my opinion its not about getting a degree, becuz that doesn't give anything for sure, except the degree itself, so... with mister t providing such a great information, all you have to do is keep moving along, looking what you want to find and there it will be, keep rockin'...and start that network, good idea too.