1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Getting my foot in the door

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by shellbell1015, Feb 14, 2005.

1. I know that we all are trying to do the same thing, but in my case a large part of the problem is focus. What should I do if my interests range from wanting to sing Broadway to songwriting to becoming a session/background vocalist - whatever it takes to be heard? I'm indecisive because I don't want to feel as though I need to give up on my interests to appear more focused to get noticed and I sing just about any genre. My problem is that by working towards all of these, I feel as though I'm overextending myself but feel as though my time is running out (I'm 30).

Do I really need to decide what exactly it is that I want to do, or is it possible to get discovered just as a singer? What should I do first? Find a talent manager? An entertainment lawyer to market my songs? The initial reason I had logged in to write on this site was for the hope of finding out info about becoming a session vocalist. How does that work? Please help me! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. scottyb

scottyb Guest

hi shellbell.
    i think it is a great asset to be well rounded in this biz.when you get to the top ..#1 you want to be able to write as well as perform. that is the retirement plan for a musician.performimng is the reward..
    if you write and record for yourself there are other outlets to be noticed. independant artist can relese their music through internet sites.like-CD BABY.OR TOWER RECORDS. just a couple places to be heard and make some money. be yourself don`t try to be the next big thing to moc the current big thing....we need more orginal music out there not cookie cutter stuff.
    and thats my opinion and please don`t give up!!!
  3. Thanks

I appreciate the advice, scottyb!
  4. mjatas

mjatas Guest

I agree with ScottyB. True. Try to be original do a wide variety of work in the music undustry. Learn everything do not give up. Forget the negitivity that people give you. Think positive, sometimes it takes a long time to get somwhere and sometimes just overrnight if someone discovers you. Just plain and simple, work hard at what you love and never give up. :) Good Luck!
  5. Again, thanks for the advice

I'm definitely still going to pursue my dreams, even if it might take a while for something to happen.