1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Getting the most from my guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by mad_ackers, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mad_ackers

mad_ackers Active Member

Hello!

I am a first time poster so apologies if my question isn't clear!!

I have been using Logic 9 to record an album for my band. I am having trouble getting serious volume from my guitar tracks, without it sounding muddy and overbearing.

I have been using a Pocket Pod plugged directly into a small Behringer mixing desk, which in turn goes straight into my Macbook Pro via a USB interface (iMic)

I have been using the pre-set compression settings on Logic, eq-ing out the very low end to let the bass guitars through, pushing up the high end to get some bite out of them. I have been panning hard left and hard right, with a small amount of re-verb on top.

The overall effect sounds ok, but it just doesn't sound punchy. it almost sounds like a duvet, or thin sheet is being held over the guitars, for want of a better description!

I have also experimented with some serious over dubs (16 on my last recording) but i think this may be causing more of a problem than solving!

Are there some fundamental tricks to recording good rock / metal guitars that I am missing? Please let me know if i have been to vague and need to give a better explanation!!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. ZXYZ

ZXYZ Active Member

Can you post a clip/ sample of the sound so that we can hear the problem?