1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

ghost vs dm24 vs dmx-r100 vs trident 80

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by seti, Nov 9, 2003.

1. seti

seti Guest

I got about 6 to 8 grand and I've been seriously thinking about getting one of these digital consoles

Some friends have told me if I'm going to spend that much get used trident on ebay like 6 to 8 grand and it will sound much better than the digital
    consoles. I haven't seen any nice analog consoles that cheap on ebay
    but I guess I'll keep looking for a mircale deal.

Would I be happy with a ghost? Is the Ghost big step up sonically
    from the digital consoles?

Are we talking about night and day difference in sound quality here?
  2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    The Trident 80 will sound better but will need maintenance. Probably a considerable amount. The Ghost will be reliable and shouldn't need any attentinon for a long time, but will not sound anywhere as good as the Trident 80. The EQs on the soundcraft will not be as sweet as the EQs on the Trident 80. If all you need is analog summing think about the SBM-2 Stereo Bus mixer from or the Dangerous Music summing mixer.

These both are excellent ways to accomplish your goals..
  3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Good luck finding a Trident 80 for 6-8 grand that doesnt need a complete recap and overhaul.
  4. seti

seti Guest

what about trident 70
  5. garysjo

garysjo Active Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Pembroke, MA
    DaveDog is correct 6-8K will not get you a very functional Series 80. 15-20K will though, with some necessary maintenance....well worth it by the way....wonderful sounding console! I've never worked the Series 70 or 65 but I've been told they are not the same animals by any stretch.