1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Giving the master a room

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Iechine, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Iechine

Iechine Guest

While the vocals arent going to be finished for about 2 months, I am trying to master the instruments of my CD. All of the instruments have been done direct and the drums are using very little of the room they were recorded in. I do have a verb thats been placed on the snare, but that is about all the simulated reverb that I have going.

I want to create a room sound with the entire mix. Ive never been educated with a particularly good method of doing this. I want the reverb to have a strong effect that colors and pulls the entire mix together. Anyone have any suggestions for how they'd go about this?

http://media.putfile.com/TDADTest-61

^ Thats a home master without any reverb

Also, ANY mastering suggestions for this recording are welcome. Ive only been at it for about 4 years and my education at the Art Institute of Seattle didnt reach the mastering stage by any means.

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

This sounded decent on your mix:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/bentsound/Audio Stuff/untitledCVerb1.jpg

3. Iechine

Iechine Guest

Its a bit too wet there. I do use the RVerb but I think Im going to go with the TC plugin Ive been using.

I guess there is no real science to it all then? Just slap in a plugin and fiddle about. Not too much else to take in to consideration?

4. bent

It's all about what makes you (or your client) happy, above all else.

5. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

I hate to break it to you, but this is not Mastering, per se. This is mixing, or more accurately, pre-mixing before you set up the vocals.

Mastering - working with your final completed mixes is something else entirely.

6. bent

Iechine,

You do have all the separate tracks from the session, don't you?

7. nacron2

nacron2 Guest

I am sorry to say, but I agree with JoeH..
    How you can completed the final sound?
    It should be for KARAOKE?

8. Iechine

Iechine Guest

I do indeed.

Maybe a mod can move the thread, or maybe you guys can just help me here?

9. bent

What DAW are you using?

10. Iechine

Iechine Guest

Nuendo and a Waves plugin bundle.