1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Glynn Johns/Recorderman with SM58s?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by gravyface, Dec 31, 2011.

1. gravyface

gravyface Active Member

I don't have condenser mics, can expect decent results with two SM58s? Board is an M-308 into a Delta 44. Was planning on recording it dry.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Depends on your expectations and experience tracking. If you use dynamics v. condensers by definition the sound will be different. Also the dynamics might need to be closer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3. gravyface

gravyface Active Member

Thanks. Don't have a lot of experience, no. I've been reading about both techniques and plan to experiment today with placement, but I wasn't sure if, because they were dynamics, they wouldn't pick up enough of the kit with any clarity.

4. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Dynamics tend to be best on close sources. If you have a third mic I'd go kick, snare, single overhead rather than Glyn Johns or Recorderman if I was going with just dynamics. Not the greatest stereo image, but it can get a good sound.

5. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

If you have a competent mic pre a dynamic will do fine in this application. I am not sure what an M-308 is but I am guessing it is a lower end live board. This may cause some problems for you.