1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Good bass drum sound

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Tascaman2488, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Tascaman2488

Tascaman2488 Guest

Hi, im haveing trouble trying to get a clean bass drum sound and ideas on how to fix this

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Can you explain a bit more about how your currently recording the bass drum?

3. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

it starts with a well tuned drum... crap in -> crap out... what mic are you using??? what's the room like???

4. Tascaman2488

Tascaman2488 Guest

the mic im using for my bass drum is The Audix fusion

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

No - What kind of and size drum, drum heads, beater? Do you have a front head? Is there a hole in the head? Are you using any damping material? Where are you putting the mic? How big is the room? How is it treated acoustically? How does it sound?

6. mugtastic

mugtastic Active Member

- tune drum higher
    - muffle less
    - don't compete for bottom end with the bass guitar.

personal taste addressed to a vague question

7. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

Answer Bob's questions first.

Then, make sure you know how to tune the drum. As a drummer, I learned how to tune my bass drum from an engineer (thanks Krisjan!).

8. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

If you are not good at tuning yet, I really recommend a Drum Dial. It doesn't do the job for you, but it is a huge boost up the learning curve.

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Your question is way too generic and has no detail in it to allow anyone to help. All of Bob's questions are pretinent to the solution and without them we are simply dealing with a moot point subject.

10. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

Proper tuning is 75% of the sound.

11. Agreed. But you will most always need some sort of dampening on the head that the beater makes contact with. (excluding some obvious music genres) Try less damp, try more, or even try an evens emad head, some times they are a bit dull, but work with it.

Use your ears...
    1. Great sounds don't come quickly.
    2. Great sounds don't come from expensive mics, its kinda a package deal.