1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

good condenser that doesn't require phantom power

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by tomislav, Nov 4, 2004.

1. tomislav

tomislav Active Member

good condenser that doesn't require phantom power?

my mixer is a soundcraft series s1, old, doesn't have phantom power. what mics can i use with it?

2. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Well for starters, why not invest in a small mic-pre that has phantom power and a few added extras for under $100.00. But if you insist on purchasing one, then I'd suggest a AKG C1000. It works off of either phantom or battery power. Also with the use of phantom power, you can use any condensor mic you want or let me rephrase that...any that you can afford. As a matter of fact, this was the first condensor mic I owned which opened my eyes to the world of condensors.

3. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

dont forget you can purchase or build your own stand alone phantom power boxes as well.

4. johnny16

johnny16 Guest

AKG C1000 condensor mic can be powered from a 9volt battery. Also, the Cad E200 mic can also be powered from (2) 9 volt battery. I used them in the past with a board that doesn't have phantom power and they worked great.

5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

The fact that the C1000 will work on a battery is its only redeeming quality....mostly they sound terrible.You can buy a phantom power box in single,dual and quad for not much money, a much better investment than a lousy mic.

6. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NT3/
    Never used one, but RODE has a pretty good reputation.

7. tomislav

tomislav Active Member

where can i find phantom power boxes? are they expensive? i'm only a student in high school and i'm trying to save money where i can.

8. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

Try THIS

9. tomislav

tomislav Active Member

i can't use ebay... i'll just search musicians friend or something