1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Good Drum Kick Mic and Overheads for under $250?

Discussion in 'Room & Overhead' started by funkbomb, Aug 29, 2004.

1. funkbomb

funkbomb Guest

I'm selling my shure PG mic kit on ebay for 220 and I'm looking for an upgrade. I've bought two SM-57s previously and all i need are good overheads and a quality kick drum mic. Any suggestions? I know this is such a common post to ask for recommendations for mics but I figure you guys have definite favorites.

Ive been hearing a lot about the Oktava MC-012 as overheads and the ATM25 as a kick mic. Comments?

My max spending limit is around 250. The Oktavas are like 70 each on ebay, or about that. Any help is appreciated.

peace,
    ben

2. Hasse

Hasse Guest

Guess the MC012's could be nice for OH. I use mine for highhat with great results. You could consider two LD's for OH for a "fat" sound and a used D112 for kick or maybe a LD there too. It has to take some serious amount of dB's though.

Have a listen at a small experiment I did with two cheap LD's :wink:

link

Hans,
    http://www.hagen.nu

3. funkbomb

funkbomb Guest

sorry to sound stupid, but...
    what are LDs?

edit: oh, hahah, large diaphragm, ooh sometimes I make myself laugh...ohohohohahaha

4. Ellegaard

Ellegaard Active Member

ADK SC-1 are also nice for overheads, in my opinion, especially considering how ridiculously cheap they are.

5. igotnosmoke

igotnosmoke Active Member

Hey what was wrong with the PG's???

6. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Check out the Sennheiser e602 for kick. You can find them for around $175 if you poke around. It's all I use anymore and has worked for every flavor of kick I put it in front of, jazz to rock.

7. funkbomb

funkbomb Guest

the PGs are simply crummy. They're weak, have dry tonality, and don't perform half as well (in my opinion) as the SMs. And the price reflects that. Sometimes, it really is, "what's good ain't cheap and what's cheap ain't good..."

8. Exmun

Exmun Guest

A couple used MC012s and a used ATM 25 or used D112 would be right in your price range. I have MC012s and an ATM 25 and use them for drums all the time. I have other stuff that I use, but the MC012s and ATM 25 would be a great start for drums.

You may also want to consider 2 new Studio Projects B1s for overheads. This should also get you there just fine and you'll get two new mics. At $80, the Studio Projects B1s are right in your price range.

9. Squaysh

Squaysh Guest

I have been using the Studio Projects C4 pair recently and like them very much. An added bonus to these mics is that they come with both cardioid AND omnidirectional capsules. :)

10. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

My friend was recording a band was short a couple of mics so he came over and borrowed ones I wasn't using at the time, the oktavas 319. He used them for overheads and got surprinsingly good results. These can be found on e-bay regurlarly for under $100 ea.
    He also borrowed my d112's for kick and got a great sound with it, which is no big surprise and it is a great kick mic.

11. Johnjm22

Johnjm22 Guest

The Samson Co1 is a very cheap ($59) large diaphram condensor mic. They sound great for the price.

If you wanna hear what it sounds like go to http://www.wastoids.com and download some of thier Mp3's. I used the Samson on the drum overheads and vocals. Sounds suprisingly good.

12. rvdsm

rvdsm Guest

Sounds like 57s with a 10-12KHz boost to me.

13. funkbomb

funkbomb Guest

Alright well I completed all my purchases but one
    I got:
    AKG D112 for $165.99
    Samson CO1 for $61 and another for $69
    This is all including shipping, of course.
    I plan to get the Oktava for a little over $100.
    and I sold my PG mics, finally.

14. Johnjm22

Johnjm22 Guest

:roll:

15. funkbomb

funkbomb Guest

I like condensers more for overheads, I don't need to be using SM57s for overheads and then boosting the signal 20db and getting noise with it.

They're cheaper anyway...

16. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I picked up a set of C4's on the recomendation of Maintiger and I love'em. Great mic for the price, matched pair, shock mounts, omni and cardiod capsules and case for $319 at Sweetwater. I've used them as OH's and on accoustic guitar with great results. I know it's more than you wanted to spend but mentioned them in case you want to check them out.

17. by

by Guest

behringer ecm-8000, about 80 bucks for a pair. extremely accurate (they're omni-directional) and high output, may be harsh/brittle compared to earthworks omnis, but really good at capturing the whole kit and are durable enough to use as drum sticks as well...heh

18. OlympicPhil

OlympicPhil Guest

I prefer LD condensers for overheads. Neumann Us work a treat but for a budget buy you could do a lot worse than an AKG Solid Tube. They work great on acoustic guitars, brass, vocals too.

Even cheaper and almost as good are AKG C1000S.

Phil Plumpton
    Technical Engineer
    Olympic Studios, EMI Studios Group

19. funkbomb

funkbomb Guest

behringer ecm-8000?

aren't they measurement mics?

20. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I use the C1000's for O/H's, no complaints. Also fine for acoustic guitar, trying them for a horn section tonight.