1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Good drum mic set? And accoustic guitar recording

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Slavebell, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

Kick- AKG112D or Shure Beta52 ?
    Snare- 2x Shure sm57
    Toms- 3x Sennheiser MD 421
    Overheads- sE electronic SE1A stereo pair

Thats it.... Is there anything u suggest me to change? (sept sE mics coss i like tham).
    + im thinking to buy those sE reflection filters for drums... Does anyone have some experiance with tham?

Also im thinking to record acoustic guitar with 2 SE1A's or sm57's? What u think?

thx

2. Groff

Groff Active Member

Except what you like I think it's good choice. I would choose 52 over 112, but both are acceptable.

I have no experience with sE filters. IMO it's much better to DIY some real gobos to surround/tune the whole kit. You can use it also for vox and other acoustic instruments.

For acoustic guitar I would choose SDC pair over 57.

3. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

Yeah sept sE1A only SDC i could get right now are behringer c2...
    Alot of people swear those are best mics for guitar they ever heard im not so shure... But than again 50$ for a pair...

4. loh90

loh90 Guest

don't sleep on the Audix D6 for kick. Audix i5 as well for snares (they sound better than SM57's and its built like a tank compared to the 57).

5. Groff

Groff Active Member

Then go with sE.

6. Groff

Groff Active Member

Audix are also very very good. I would say different, not better exclusively. Can't go wrong however.

Dude, If 57 isn't built like a tank, then what is? :shock:

7. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I find the I5 to be a much brighter mic then the sm57. Both sound good, it just depends on what sound your going for. As for built like a tank...Sm57 is as rugged as it gets.

8. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

Yeah i heard nice things bout i5 for snare...
    I didnt hear that much bout D6 but its cheaper than AKG so maybe ill give it a try...
    thx

9. Groff

Groff Active Member

Oooo, Slave, zemo, dobrosodsao na forum!(y)

(I just have to say hello to my compatriot)

10. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

heh vidio sam da si cro zato i stavih od kud sam...
    Hvala

11. BDM

BDM Active Member

i bought a sEA1 about a year and a half ago and i think it is great for acoustic guitar. i have also had success with percussion and i use it straight into my XH-A1 camera for interviews- it sounds great on both male and female voice. in fact, i bought another this summer to have a stereo pair (can't quite afford a couple of km 184s...yet!).
    i think it is a whole lot of mic for the money, and would be interested to hear how they work for drum OH (i use a v-kit- soooo v-mics for OH!!!)).

12. Slavebell

Slavebell Guest

Yeah i know i tryed it on overheads and it sounded realy good, so i don't wanna go with any expensive options...
    Its good with snare to, but i like sm57 on it so i don't use it.
    Anyway fantastic mic for its price

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

The 57 is an old panzer...the I5 is a bradley, no plastic...not that the panzer's had plastic but the 57 does. I am king of stupid analogies.