1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Good Headphones for recording drummers

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by aswen001, Jul 16, 2006.

1. aswen001

aswen001 Guest

What is the recommened headphones for drummers to wear so they can still hear the track while playing the drums.

2. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Direct_Sound_Extreme_Isolation_Headphones_Black_p/1750.htm

3. tallrd

tallrd Active Member

I'm a drummer and have tracked a ton with the Sennheiser HD280's. I love them and they isolate really well.

4. aswen001

aswen001 Guest

cool deal, any other suggestions especially from drummers? I see those cheap vic firth ones everywhere, are they any good?
    -Alan

5. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

$ .02

the real trick is to get "closed back" modells to minimize bleed through...

6. Cresta

Cresta Active Member

I am a drummer, and use a raw solution: you break two good headphones, keep the audiopad and put it inside a Peltor pair of hearing protectors, it works damn good ;)

7. Boltino

Boltino Guest

Definitely buy the Senn. HD280s suggested above. They isolate well and sound great. The Direct Sound Extreme Isolation headphones isolate very well, but sound pretty crappy compared to the HD280's. I use the Direct Sound headphones for playing along to cds but I always use the HD280s for tracking.

Wes

8. Robak

Robak Active Member

I've used HD280pro for about 3 years in my studio. They isolate very well, they are loud and bright. Drummers love them. Unfortunately they are very fragile. I think it's a shame that so well designed studio headphones are made of so fragile plastic. My set will probably break in a few months and I doubt I would buy the same model again, cos I want headphones that will last for 10 years not 4. But if I were to buy them only for me (not clients) I would do so.

9. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

There's always Harvey's good old "MoreMe's"
    at $30 a pair it doesn't hurt when they break

10. I'm a drummer and have my own recording set up for me and my band, and i just have a pair of akg k44's, they work pretty good for me, plus they're pretty cheap.