1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Good Mic Pres to compliment Ensemble

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by bash54, Dec 21, 2007.

1. bash54

bash54 Guest

I am looking to add 4-8 mic pres to my studio and need something with a A/D conversion to connect to my Ensemble via the ADAT/SMUX input. Is there anything good out there that can send 8 channels at 96khz via SMUX? Or is 4 channels the max you can get at that rate in that format? I was originally interested in the isa428 or isa828 but I see the 428 can only send two channels per ADAT output, and the ensemble only has one digital input, so I wouldn't be able to use all 4 channels simultaneously. I could get 4 channels at 96kzh out of the 828, but again I wouldn't be utilizing the remaining 4. So I guess my question is, are they any good mic pres that can send 4 channels at 96kzh into my Ensemble via ADAT/SMUX? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I think you are misunderstanding the SMUX format and capabilities. The ISA428 can send all 4 channels out via 1 ADAT output as long as you're at 88.2 or 96 kHz sampling rate. At 192, you drop to 2 outputs per output.

That being said, could you not add 8 channels to the ensemble if you weren't using 96kHz sampling rate and sticking with 44.1? I would think this to be the ideal combination.