1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Good two track reel to reel machines for mixdown

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Hidden Driveways, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 'Now one thing I am considering doing is buying a good 1/2" two-track for mixdowns to take to the mastering house. Anyone have any opinions on this? The idea is that I would do all my tracking at 24/96 and mix down to the two-track analog deck.'
    -Posted by Consul in another thread

I'm also wondering about this. What machines are the best? What formats do mastering houses usually feature, 1/2"? How much should you spend to get something that'll outshine mixing to disk?

2. Bo Hansén

Bo Hansén Active Member

Hi Hidden,

The best sounding 2 track master machines 1/4" or 1/2" are Studer A-800 series (A-80 series) and Ampex ATR-100 series.
    In US I thing it´s ok with 1/2" tape and 30" speed format for mostly of mastering houses.

--Bo

3. sign

sign Guest

Bo is right, the ATR 102 is a great machine and so are Studers.

But you better first read John Klett's post about the subject carefully.

http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=8633

Hope this helps.

4. wwittman

wwittman Active Member

To my ears, the ATR-102 is an order of magnitude better sounding than any other machine, including the A80, which is a distant second.

5. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Never got play with a ATR-102, but got much use out of an A80. For the cheap side you can pick up a Tascam 22-2 for about $200 and it does 7-1/2ips & 15ips. I still the got the one I bought for doing mixdowns from my Tascam 244 Portastudio many years ago that still gets used now and then.

6. Tommytones

Tommytones Guest

An Ampex, I find, has a bit more 'color' than a Studer so depending on what type of program you'll be sending to tape you might want to think about that. A 1/2" Ampex does sound better than a 1/2" Studer in my opinion. I've had the chance to use both Ampex and Studer machines both 1/4" & 1/2" formats often. We have an A80 1/4" in the studio as well as an Ampex. I almost always like what the Ampex does more than the Studer. It seems to smooth everything over in a special way that the Studer doesn't do.