1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Good Vocal mic?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by eddies880, Oct 7, 2004.

1. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Looking for a good vocal mic in the range of $500.
    Any ides?

2. Skeetch

Skeetch Guest

The definition of "good" in that price range is very much a debated topic. Was recently shopping mics and wanted a tube mic to compliment a Brauner Phantom C but didn't have the benjamins for the usual high end suspects. I just picked up a Studio Projects T3 tube mic that I'm liking a lot. I've tried it on soprano female vocals, combo guitar amp and acoustic guitar so far and been very pleased with the results. Nine different patterns (from omni to figure eight) are selectable from the power supply.

It's proving to be a very versatile mic, for me at least.

3. cabbie guy

cabbie guy Guest

depends on your voice......one of my mics is in the $500 price range, shure ksm32....it's more of a "dark" mic so it fits my voice

4. RAIN0707

RAIN0707 Guest

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you should be able to find a used or maybe even a new Rode K2 mic - those things kick @ss for the price.

5. boheme6

boheme6 Guest

Rain - you're correct... K2 can be bought for 560 shipped (in the US)..
    others in that range worth looking at are the KSM32, SP T3, some of the SE mics are apparently pretty good.. maybe a used TLM103? there's always the SM7 and RE20 for a great dynamic mic (good for vocals)..
    "-)

6. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I got my K2 for about that price, $560 shipped on ebay

7. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Don't forget about the AT-4047. I really love mine, and I think it sounds way more expensive than it actually is. It has a very present sound, but is very smooth, and I find it great at low-level detail.

Regards,
    John Stafford

8. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

All these mics you guys have mentioned----------------are they tube mics?

9. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

Only the T3 and the K2

10. Laker

Laker Guest

KSM32

11. nandoph8

nandoph8 Active Member

I love the Rode NTK

12. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

KSM32 is pretty good for the money.

In that price range I've had the best luck with an SM57 or 58.

Steve
    :D

p.s. I'm serious