Great convolution reverb: Space Designer

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by tron, Oct 18, 2003.

1. tron

tron Guest

Space Designer!
    wonderful sound

2. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Ooer... any links to follow?

3. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

http://www.emagic.de/products/st/spacedesigner/index.php?lang=EN

Logic only mein freunds! But boy does it sound good.

mitz

4. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

Can you report back the instance count and your processor type / speed?

5. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Nate,

Will do b4 the weekend. The deal with space designer demo is that it only comes w/4 IRs, but I'll test each of these, and let you know. I'll also give the synthesized verbs a run.

I can tell you that WRT convo-verbs, the length of the IR is the determining factor for processor usage. Also a factor is the config, mono-mono, stereo-stereo, etc. I'll note these in my account.

You know, there was a time when my QS733 was state of the art. Now I see SW for which my specs are a minimum requirement. My how time marches. I wish my wallet did too.

mitz

6. Nate Tschetter

Howdy

Totally agreed about specs marching on. My venerable Sawtooth looks pretty cool in a Marathon rack but its no longer the powerhouse it used to be.

Still really interested in the performance of SD. I'm on the verge of picking up a dual G5 and was considering a high-end outboard reverb unit like the KSP-8.

I think "convulation" will be to this decade what "physical modelling" was to the previous one.

7. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Well its progressing at a far faster pace than modelling did. IMO, they both have their str's and weak's. But convolution is sure as exciting as PhMod was.

mitz

8. Nate Tschetter

9. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Ok I did some tests with Space Designer. I'm on a G4QS 733, OS 9.22, 640MB RAM, Delta66 512MB buffer, Logic 6.3.1 Process Buffer Range set to Large. all tests performed with a 16 bit 44.1k audio file ripped from a CD, about 4 min long.

sampled Reverbs:

Large Bright Hall 2.316s
    stereo to stereo: 3 instances at 90% processor load
    mono to mono: 7 instances at 95% processor load

Beetle Interior 0.009s
    stereo to stereo: I sstopped counting at 15 instances with about 40% processor load

synthesized reverbs

Long Hall 3.950s
    stereo to stereo: 2 instances at about 90% processor load
    mono to mono: 4 instances at about 90% processor load.

And just as a comparison:

Platinum verb 2.00s default setting
    stereo to stereo: 11 instances at about 99% processor load
    mono to mono: 16 instances (with 2 copies of audio in two channels) at about 97% processor load

I hope this helps Nate.

mitz