1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Great River EQ-2NV patch loop integration

Discussion in 'Recording' started by audiokid, Dec 9, 2013.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

EQ-2NV - Great River Electronics

I love Analog EQ's. Nothing Itb sounds quite like them. But, its also where they sit in the hybrid process that I find outboard gear more beneficial or noticeable. The EQ 2NV is on my list.

Anyone ever try this? Seems brilliant. I'd love to have this EQ even more now.

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Man, thinking outloud here. What else could the send/return on the MP-2NV be used for? Could it be used like an effect similar to how we hybrid chain gear on a Stem?

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Okay, now my curiosity has got me really going on this.

Could I use this type of insert like a comp, EQ with my Dangerous Master inserts? What a nice effect that would be for adding a British vibe to a mix.

What do you think?

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Interesting, I wonder how different the result would be with this options compared to chaining the units normally. If you get it, I look foward for your comments.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

If I used this on the Master bus, the result would be like adding a Neve (ish) tranny flavour over an entire mix.

If I could use it like a reverb effect, via a aub bus, it would be like adding a Neve flavour like we do with an reverb or delay.
    In other words, I would put the 2NV tranny on an aux channel and mix in the tranny like an effect.

Or, I could add it into a particular bus Stem chain, much like I do when using an UA 1176LN or LA2A on say a bass or Drum stem.

Or, simply use it together with the EQ as suggested and designed around.

Many options. Just hope they are all possible.

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

To add:

Something you might be interested in pcrecord!

This is a similar way of using a pre-amp with the Folcrom passive summing system. You have choices to use different flavored preamps together with the Folcrom. Makes for a really cool summing system. "The sound is up to you and your preamps."

Thats why I was thinking the MP 2NV would be a good choice for you as well. Cool pre's like the 2nv, used with a Folcrum can serve for more than one purpose.

For my application, I like this idea much better over the Folcrom but here is the link in case you are interested http://www.rollmusic.com/folcrom.php.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Fletcher say's this on GS
    different ways to connect great river mp, eq-2nv and distressor - Gearslutz.com

8. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

I'll keep that in mind audiokid, tx !

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Bos, Kurt I'm hoping you chime in here :)

Would you try this? Would it be how I'm thinking? How would wire this for a balanced connection?

ME-2NV Features & Benefits - Great River Electronics

I see an opportunity for someone to design various flavours of trannies to fit into these summing systems. Entire mix or certain stems. I would love to have something in my chain that I could dial in analog distortion.
    I use the SPL Kultube (tube) and really like it for some things but I think something like what I'm discussing here would be even cooler. If the 2nV does what I'm hoping, that will be cool.

Thoughts?

10. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

The standard way to insert gear is to use an insert cable! The TRS I/O signals are unbalanced, and an insert cable splits these out to TS send and TS return plugs to connect into inserted gear with unbalanced I/O.

However, if the inserted gear has balanced I/O, the drive into it is OK as TS, but there may be problems with its balanced outputs. One way of getting round those is to use a second insert cable and connect its TS send to the original TS return using a TS-TS socket coupler. The TS return of the second cable is taped up out of the way.

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I also have a Radial Pro D2 -
    Would this resolve the unbalanced issue better?

Radial ProD2

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Bos,

It sounds like I could do it easily through the Neos unbalanced Master bus?

Thanks for you help :)

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I see on the Neos manual there is a typo and an inaccurate back panel diagram to what I have now, which is why I was so confused when I first got it and, should make note in case anyone is reading this and wondering where the unbalanced Master Out is and/or, what I am talking about! It doesn't exist on the manual!
    What says Send/Return Balanced Out ( comp, EQ) is not a balanced out. That is now an unbalanced XLR Master bus that can be bypassed via a button on the console.

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/anleitungen/english/Neos_1010_BA_E.pdf

14. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Nice as those boxes are for keyboards and the like, sonically they are not in the hybrid mixing and mastering league.

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Specifically as an effect. I'm not thinking of that bus in this regard for "mastering quality" , including the idea of using the MP 2NV "iron". . I would use it to introduce grit in a mix or more specifically, part of a mix if it was possible.