1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Great River of Tab Funkenwerk

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by John Stafford, Jan 27, 2005.

1. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have an Apogee Mini-Me and I actually like the preamp a lot. The conversion is pretty cool as well. I'm currently building my mic collection for classical music. I have an AT4060 that I absolutely love, and it really opens up on the Mini-Me. I don't know what it is that makes the two of these work so well together. For variety I'm looking into buying a new pre for my non-classical work, bearing in mind that (to my ears at least!) the 4060 sounds like a 'classical music mic' that can do special things on rock/pop vocals.

I'm interested in the old valve Telefunkens and old Neves, so I'm interested in the new version of the V72 and the Great River. I know these are very different from each other, so it's a hard choice. I want a touch of opulence, but also some flexibility so I don't just get a single characteristic sound.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    John Stafford

2. John Stafford

Another thing,
    I have a client who wants to use a U87. It suits her voice REALLY well, so I wonder which of these amps would work better with it. I think she used an Avalon, but that won't be available to me.

Thanks
    John

3. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

I have 4 channels of Great River and both the AT4060 and 2 U87's.

I can't compare this setup with Telefunkens but the Great River works very well on both of these mics and just about everything else.

The GR has a pretty wide range of tone depending on how hard you drive it and using the impedence switching.

Hope this helps.

Chris

4. John Stafford

Thanks Chris.

I like the idea of the impedance switching. I assume that choosing between the two of these pres is going to be difficult, given that they are so radically different in design.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

John