1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Grot box to replace the NS10M?

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by Blenn, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Blenn

Blenn Guest

Any suggestions? The NS10 was, to me, a horribe sounding speaker that did an excellant job for mid range mixing. But they dont make em any more. Has anyone got any suggestion as a replacement. So far I have heard of the new Yamaha MSP5 and the Triple P Pyramid. Any others worth mentioning?

Paul Blenn
  2. Krou

Krou Active Member

May 27, 2001
    KRK V6II - $700/pr.
  3. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I haven't found anything to replace ns-10's. They are still available on Ebay, although get ready to spend big $$$. Replacement parts are still available also. I just bought 3 sets of woofer and tweeters so that I'll be set for quite some time.

My other reference monitor? A $29.00 Panasonic boombox.

4. radioliver

radioliver Guest

aren't they 350-500$ on ebay??? That's not big money...
  5. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I've seen them for around $600-$1,000 myself.

I haven't done a search for them in over a year, so maybe they are more reasonable now.

6. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2's... Around $300.

But there's a problem as using them as an NS10 replacement - They actually sound pretty good. :lol:
  7. -=_CZ_=-

-=_CZ_=- Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I recently went on a listening expedition to see what was happening in the world of nearfields, and to see what might augment my NS-10s...

I was a little bit apalled by what I heard: Lots of powered two way systems that had hyped one-note bass and didn't image at all.

I decided to go in the other direction. I put together two different systems, each using a single fostex 'full-range' driver. One a 5"(FE127) and one 6.5" (FE166). These are largely flat from 70-20k on the 5" system and 50-22k on the 6.5" system. The larger driver beams a bit in the HF as you would expect. But for mixing this is a good thing. The imaging is great and there is not a trace of 'phaseyness' from console reflections, or crossover (there is no crossover!). After mixing several projects on these I went back to my NS-10s for a moment. Now, I love NS-10s, but for the first time I noticed the phase hole in the crossover, and a 'comb-filtery' vagueness of the center image.

I find the full range systems to be a valuable mixing tool, if you think the snare is a little on top of the vocal, it is. On many of the popular powered 2-way systems there is a phase/frequency hole right where the attack of the snare is, causing the producer to ask you to turn it up too much! The proof came when I took a project to Sterling for mastering. The engineer was exstatic about the balances -particularly in the midrange- noting that everyone is overly concerned with the bottom end and the top end, which he felt were easily dealt with in mastering.

8. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    yeah, 300 to 500...