1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Ground Hum/Power Cond or what?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by flesymekili, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. flesymekili

    flesymekili Guest

    Hi. I recently moved to a new place with a terrible 60~ hum.

    This is not a problem with any wiring I did... this is a problem in the house. I get a hum simply from plugging just about anything into the wall, especially a guitar amp. But I can even hear a slight hum from my computer being plugged in.. so its pretty bad.

    What is the best way to get rid of the hum? I have considered buying a furman power conditioner or something small like an EBtech HumX. Are those products worth the money? Is there a better/simpler solution?

    Also: Do you have any suggestions or ways to avoid interference noise from guitar pickups. I know you can always "aim" where it sounds best. Are there any ways to block interference, short or building walls out of lead?

    Thanks in advance

    -Lou 8)
  2. Kurt Foster

    Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

    Unless there is a problem with the power being delivered to you by the utility, the problem is most likely worn breakers, switches and recepticals.

    When these do not make good contact, arcing occurs which generates 60 cycle hum ...

    I had the same problem. I had an electrician come out to the studio and replace the breakers in the mains box. I then went through the whole facillity and replaced all the light switches and wall plugs ... The problem dissappeared.
  3. flesymekili

    flesymekili Guest

    Thanks. But if I were to use a power conditioner insteady, that should also work, right?

  4. Kurt Foster

    Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

    No it won't ... I tried that first. Then I tried a balanced power transformer .. about 1600 bucks later I did what I discribed to you ... for about $200 the problem disappeared.
  5. jonyoung

    jonyoung Well-Known Member

    Go through all the switches and outlets as Kurt suggested, and see if they're wired through the "stab-ins" (the small sockets on the back that a bare wire is jammed into). If so, rewire all connections to the screw terminals provided instead. This is comparable to the worn breakers.
  6. David French

    David French Well-Known Member

    Kurt, the balanced transformer didn't do it for you? It should have, right? I'm very new to the electrical side of things, but don't these devices convert to DC and then back to AC? Wouldn't this make noise impossible?

Share This Page