1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Group Buys?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by backinthelab, Feb 8, 2005.

1. backinthelab

backinthelab Guest

I was wondering, does anyone host any group buys on this forum? Is it allowed? Is anyone interested? Do you think any vendor would be up for it?

I could talk to my rep at Sweetwater and see if we could get a price break on a nice mic or something. Do you think it'll work?

So many questions, so little time.
  2. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    i dont know if it is alowed i dont see why not.

what are you proposing?
  3. backinthelab

backinthelab Guest

I don't know, maybe a nice mic or something. I we could get a consensus on a piece of gear, I'll see what the vendors are willing to offer. For example, I asked my rep at Sweetwater if he'd cut a deal on Neumann U87's if there were 20 buyers. He's willing to do something like that (even though that specific example may be a little extreme).

So, let's start off with a mic....

AKG C414
    Sennheiser 421

There are two mid-priced suggestions for mics that are pretty standard in the studio. Anyone have any ideas?
  4. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    I could be interested in a 421 or 2 if I can get them to Australia for the right price.
  5. backinthelab

backinthelab Guest

Markd102: There's a start, I'd buy 2 421's too.

I want to gauge the interest in this because it may be a way to get some great discounted gear. If enough people want in, we can arrange something.

Hmmmm.....maybe I should start a poll.

I'll call around and see what venors are interested tomorrow!
  6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    I don't think we would have a problem with it but I am sure we wouldn't want RO to be the responsible party unless Chris or I were to administer it ... in which case we would probably want to choose the dealer based on a criteria of who supports the site and who doesn't ... (for the record, Sweetwater most likely wouldn't be who we would choose).

If all of you want to go in on somthing on your own, I am not going to delete any threads .. you're all welcome to use the board to facillitate a deal ..

Of course this is all if Chris doesn't have an issue with it ... he calls the shots in the end .. But I don't see it as a problem.
  7. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    fair call
  8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    This is a great idea.

I worked on things like this with sweetwater long ago. Then I started thinking, maybe RO should become a dealer and sell gear to our members. Then I opened a Pro Shop and leased it to a dealer so he could sell awesome gear to our members, sadly, as soon as our Pro Shop opened we had to shut it down because a few old boys club dealers didn't like that fact we he had an edge. hmm... I like this...

I'm 100% certain if we took up a vote on paticular items, I could shop it.

IMHO, So this doesn't turn into a gong show, If you want? I'll set up a module that will log items we want. If we get enough interest in one particular item I will get us a deal.

9. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Damn. I bet this is gonna be good and here I am broke as _____. (fill in the blank with expletive of your choice)
  10. backinthelab

backinthelab Guest

Kurt, Chris, what'd ya think?

If we could get group buy pricing with an obvious disclaimer to alleviate recording.org for personal liability, maybe this could be a good thing? You choose the vendor, we deal with them directly using the forum only as that - a forum to gain consensus on a piece of gear. We buy at a discounted rate and everyone is happy (not to mention the draw this would get to this forum if word got around)!
  11. Johnjm22

Johnjm22 Guest

This sounds like a great idea. Count me in.

If were actually gonna do the 421 thing, I'll take two.

Sebatron supports RO. A group buy on some Sebatron pres sounds good. :D
  12. WRX07

WRX07 Guest

I'd be in for two 421's and two 414's
  13. backinthelab

backinthelab Guest

Sticking with the 421's right now, we have four people wanting 2 each. Anyone else consider??

audiokid: I you would set up some sort of log/vote, that'd be cool! I think that there is some positive interest here, let's hope for more!!!
  14. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Mar 22, 2004
    New Delhi, India
    If it takes long enough to materialize. I might coax the bank into another loan... :twisted: You must ship to India though....
  15. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    Only one rule. It has to something good and professional. Ok? No cheap crap. And ya, the MD421 would qualify.
  16. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I'm eying a pair of C414's FWIW. I'd surely be in for a group discont (but I don't need 421's right now :( ). I'm sure if you start talking price, more people will jump in. I'm sure that is difficult since nothing is "in motion" yet. Good luck!

Maybe we can still have our own "Sam's Club - Pro-Shop"? ;) (A PRIVATE distributor ONLY for those in the "Pro-Shop Club".). Don't you LOVE loopholes, Chris? :D

17. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

Just some thoughts Chris,,

when checking with the dealer, make sure to ask if they'll drop ship individually for the discount price... depending on savings, might not make sense to ship and insure twice

let me know when we shop the

Redd 47

DW fearn VT-2

uhm.. mackie control universal

more to follow

18. rudedogg

rudedogg Guest

i'll take 1 421
  19. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    depending on price ill take two 421's

i wander what type of deal we could get on gafers tape :)
  20. rudedogg

rudedogg Guest

let me know when we are going to go in on some vintech x73i's or other high quality neve'ish preamps.