1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Guitar and Dobro pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by BobRogers, Feb 26, 2010.

1. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

A guitarist in one of my bands is looking to get pickups installed in his Martin D-28 and Wechter Rob Ickes dobro. Strictly for live use, of course. He's researching this, but I thought I throw it out here for opinions. We have a good acoustic guitar tech around here who could do anything that he and I could not do, so installation isn't a problem. He's basically a cheapskate, but willing to pay money when it counts. So price is an object, but quality is a bigger one.

What do you recommend?

P.S. The D-28 is a nice old '68. A good guitar, but not considered "collectible" by anyone who isn't trying to sell one.

2. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Fishman Rare Earths are pretty nice soundhole pickups and they just screw on with a cork-protected mechanism, and come right back out again. However they need a soundhole so wouldn't work for your dobro.

I really like the Schertler DYN pickups - the DYN-A is phenomenally expensive (they fit to the outside of guitars using putty) - but a DYN-C could be mounted semi-permanently to one or both, its really designed for internal, the DYN-G is the same as the C but has a facing on it so you could mount that externally and move it between the two. This is a transducer model and so its really handy to have around as it will do mandolin, double bass, nylon-string guitar, etc. A good choice for the dobro possibly.

The LR Baggs iBeam is rated quite highly and requires a bit of tech know-how to fit - I have one in a Babicz guitar and find it really temperamental both for feedback and the piezo side of things seeming to cut out in the damp sometimes. However others rate it highly as I say. Again this would be for the Martin.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

The Martin is relatively easy, with a wide choice of passive and active pickups. I can second the Fishman Rare Earth. I have one of those in my Martin connected to a sound-hole fixing Shadow blender unit that incorporates an electret mic on a short gooseneck. By adjusting the position of the electret mic inside the guitar body and the blend of mic to pickup, I can set up a sound for the type of music I am playing this session, and to sit in the mix with the other musicians.

Does his D-28 have the endpin drilled out to 15/32" to take a switching jack? If he wants to fit an active pickup, he will need the switching for the battery power. I reamed out my Martin to fit the jack, and it was a tricky business to get the hole right without cracking the veneer. However, your guitar tech should have both the experience and the correct endpin reamer.

I've never fitted a pickup to a dobro, but I remember a dobro player I know saying he tried lots of pickups before he settled on one he liked the sound of. I'm sorry I don't know what type that was.