1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Guitar FX pedals... Survey

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by RandomGuest, Oct 31, 2001.

1. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    OK let em rip!

I felt it was time to buy a Tube Screamer pedal as it is supposed to be the cats pyjamas for rock gtr.. Anyhow the cool guy in the store said, FORGET THAT! Get a "Hot Cake" pedal (made in New Zealand) he said it is much better.. Link removed

I know some rock god producers have GIANT boxes full of pedals...

So far I ain't got ONE!

2. rivers

rivers Guest

Hey Jules
    I'll second the Hotcake rec,also check out just about anything by Lovetone(i think made in England?) or Zvex if your looking for weirder sounds.The Lovetone stuff is all over some Radiohead and U2 records.
    A good site for this stuff is http://musictoyz.com

Kat P studios
  3. miketholen

miketholen Guest

The LoveTone stuff kills.
    I use "The Brown Source" for overdrive.
    the lovetone tremolo has a key trigger on it (very useful).
    FullTone makes kick ass $*^t as well.
    I use their overdrive pedal alot too.
  4. Todd Farone

Todd Farone Guest

Les Paul...Original Tube Screamer...Fender Twin!
    I've owned the Tube Screamer for like 18 years...It's the only pedal I use... Smokin'!
  5. bnewsommfic

bnewsommfic Guest

Tech 21 comptortion, Snarling Dogs Vari-Tone Dog, and a Line 6 delay modeler(can't wait for the studio rack version) although I must say I use them on stuff other than guitar just as much as I use them for guitar. The comptortion has a wicked effect on a snare drum.
  6. bgroup

bgroup Guest

I have a ton of guitar pedals, and I do use them all but here are my favourites:

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff - Unbelievable for guitar and bass. If I could only have one distortion pedal this would be it. Check this one out Jules.

Boss Pitch Shifter/Delay - I can get sounds out of this thing that I've never heard anywhere else. I use this to ^#$% up everything, especially vocals.

Tech 21 Sans Amp GT2 - I know everyone prefers the rackmount Sans Amp, but I love this pedal. I find it works great to dirty up drums/drum samples.

I have a Tube Screamer as well (the re-issue). I bought it after hearing all the hype, but I've got to tell you this is the pedal I use the least. I really don't like it on guitar at all. Seems to muddy up the tone to my ears. I have used it to great effect on direct in keyboards though!

7. Superchop

Superchop Guest

The Crowther Hotcake is a great pedal, and from what I understand it was developed with the Vox AC-30 in mind. I've got one that I use with my Vox and '64 Fender Bassman head with Marshall cab and it sounds great, if not a bit soft. It's a good box for solos, but I wouldn't say it "cuts" very much on the bottom end.

Fulltone pedals are also great. Michael Fuller is a serious tonesmith and has made great pedals like the '69 and '70. Those are both great pedals for Hendrix/Eric Johnson and excel in 4-input, non-master Marshall's.

Probably the coolest pedal I have is an old MuTron Octave Divider. It's basically Satan-in-a-box and has an incredibly cool tone circuit called "Ringer" based off of the Green Ringer from Dan Armstrong (I think). It puts a serious snarl on guitar tones and sounds fantastic with a Les Paul.

If you're interested in more on this, send me a mail and I can take this off line with you, cause I'll never stop writing...

8. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    I dunno, I figure the overdrive sort of is the realm of the guitarist, as picking the right one depends on the player, guitar, and amp. I'd figure if they need it, they should have it. Further, while the TS-9 and its derivatives can be useful, I'd rather invest in something that gives a different sound or texture than the standard rig.

Z-Vex Fuzz Factory is revelatory, Roger Mayer stuff is still anarchic (Voodoo Vibe is the most flexible trem unit ever, whatever you want it has), I hear great things about the Lovetone pedals (I wish I could afford their whole line), and Prescription Electronics has a few tricks up their sleeves. The only interest I have in Line 6 gear is the delay modeler and filter modeler pedals, either of which can cook up some useful tones. The right Electro Harmonix gear, old or reissue, can also be pretty gonzo, although I got bored with my original Big Muff pedal and sold it way to cheap.

Pure toned overdrives are just too button-down, this is rock guitar, kick out the jams!

9. fuzz

fuzz Guest

the fuzzfactory is my all time favorite way out there fuzz....it is so far out you can "play" it without having anything hooked up to it!

my old ass big muff for creamy tone shifting fuzz

the O.G. rat pedal for the 80's tone.

for the tube tone i got some old amps that work just fine ;)

everything else is the digitech 2101(flame away ;) )....but it is my "secrect weapon" that helps turn my guitar into a "synth" and beyond!

10. PlugHead

PlugHead Active Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Tech 21 SansAmp - it rocks on virtually anything! Used it on tuba, trombones, rhodes, kit elements, vox - U name it!

PlugHead Productions
  11. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Oh I forgot I do have ONE pedal, it is the Roland Chorus Ensemble pedal (green tank coloured) I think it is the chorus FX from a Jazz Chorus amp - put into a pedal..

I can tell you that this make of pedal was THE sound of the Smiths first LP - most jangle parts were done with it - split out to a couple of tweed fender vintage amps..

I forget I have it... It's OK.

12. Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (5 knob)
    Electro Harmonix Poly Flange
    Electro Harmonix Bass Microsynth
    Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
    Ibanez Analog Delay
    Mutron III
    Mutron Octave Divider
    Asama Jet Flanger
    Ross Flanger
    MXR Dynacomp

No reissues. I have others, but I would have to look in my "Felix the Cat" bag to remember what's there.
  13. plexi

plexi Guest

Ibanez Ts-808, first edition , very rare.
    Fulltone 70`prototype
    Fulltone 70`
    Two Chandler Tube Driver, love them!
    Boss SD-1 with Analog Man 808 mod, very, very good
    Line 6 Delay
    Arion Chorus, don`t laugh, Landaus favorite chorus
    t.c.electronic chorus
    Carl Martin Chorus IIx
    Fuzz Face with Analog Man mod, really fat sounding
    DiMarzio Vrey Metal, Instant Twisted Sister sound.Really bad.
    Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe
    Mxr Flanger
    Jen Dual Sound wah 70`s
    Crybaby 70`s
    Maestro Echoplex EP-3, not a pedal,but......
    DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250
    Boss OD-1

Lots of fun with these.....
  14. Coles4038

Coles4038 Guest

No public comment, lest the dealers find out. Try them all. no look gift horsie in mouthski.
  15. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

May 14, 2001
    Mogadore, OH
    -Tube screamer
    I have the re-issue green and the new silver one and love them both. I actually prefere the silver one at times.
    -RAT and RAT Turbo
    Great vintage sounding distortion for rythem guitar.
    -Tech 21 XXL
    This is the best lead distortion I have ever heard. TRY ONE. It is really really increadible. Different kind of sound. Sweet but powerful.
  16. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    OK are the re-issue Tube Screamers alright? Or should I find an old one?

17. Southwind

Southwind Guest

The re-issues are certainly more consistant and I think they rock. Of course I had mine modded by my tech to be "creamier"

I also use:

Marshall Gov'ner
    E H Microsynth (On just about anything)
    E H Q-tron
    MXR Phase 45/90/ and/or 100
    MXR Dynacomp
    Univox Microphaze
    TC Chorus
    Ross flanger (modded to be "leslie-like")
    others a can't think of right now
  18. Marc Edwards

Marc Edwards Guest

GREAT TOPIC! I have:

SansAmp PSA-1 rack - I use it on EVERYTHING
    MoogerFooger Phaser - This ROCKS! I wasn't as impressed by the RingMod, Delay, or Filter
  19. FrankO

FrankO Guest

My advice is to go down to Rudy's Music Stop or Manny's at the end of the month during AES and check a few out..... playing Stairway to Heaven naturally.
  20. fuzz

fuzz Guest

god how could i not have mentioned my EH bass micro synth and electric mistress flanger :roll: