1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

guitar into soundcard?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by sparky472, Feb 18, 2006.

1. sparky472

sparky472 Guest

Hi all. Trying to record guitar on PC. I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS. I am going direct from the guitar into the soundcards 1/4" Line 2/Mic 2 input. The sound is incredibly distorted and blown out, as if the signal is too strong, no matter how far down I turn the volume on the guitar, the level on the input, etc. I went to guitar center and the guy told me I needed a Direct Box. So I bought a Groove Tube Passive Direct Box, and I notice no difference. Is there a different way I should be going in to get a normal sounding signal? Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

2. TimRP

TimRP Guest

Make sure when you are going into this mic/line in, it is configured for line operation. Sounds like it is looking for a mic input and thus the distortion.

3. sparky472

sparky472 Guest

OK, I figured out how to switch it over to line, which is fine, but it only goes through the left channel...

4. TimRP

TimRP Guest

What software are you using? Make sure when you add a track to record, you add a mono track. Then it should come out of both speakers.

5. sparky472

sparky472 Guest

Right now I am using Acoustica Mixcraft. I don't think it has an option to set a track as mono or stereo. Besides, even if I have software that does have that option, how would I then pan the guitar or bass or anything else going through the mic input?

6. TimRP

TimRP Guest

The pan function works on mono tracks, pan a little to the left it goes left, pan a little to the right it goes right. There has to be a mono track option.