guitar plugin question

Discussion in 'Mixing & Editing' started by mcmilliron, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

does anyone know of any good plugins for making a DI guitar sound mic'd? is there any plugins that control stereo imaging? I just want to push the guitar back in my mix, it sounds way to up front. reverbs help on clean tone but sound like crap with heavy distortion. I live in an apartment building so mic'ing a cabinet is not an option.

thanks in advance
  2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NI Guitar Rig is the best thing i've heard, but none are truly convincing.
  3. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2003
    There's a couple enclosed cabinets with built-in mics available which are meant to be ok, but just ok. Whether this translates into comparable with, or better than, NI, I don't know, I have heard neither.

What about a mic'd cabinet but with a power soak?

Also the Mesa recording preamp has good press but I can't quite believe it can do it with no speakers....
  4. I have heard good things about the NI, but have not used it myself.
    I personally use Amplitube and SimulAnalog Guitar Suite(free) and have gotten good results with both, but nothing really compares to a real amp with a real mic. The Mesa recording pre sounds good but is VERY limited in the sounds it can achieve. When I lived in an apartment, I found that by deadening my closet and investing in a small amp got the job done very well and from there I used the direct guitar tracks as back up tracks along with the recorded amp sound as the ‘main’ sound. Hope this helps… :)

5. jsanfilippo5

jsanfilippo5 Guest

i have found that guitar rig sounds awesome by itself, by it just doesnt sit in a mix right. Once i try to mic it in it sounds very artificial.

just my thoughts others may find it different.