1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Guitar Recording Loop?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by uprisemovement, Aug 17, 2012.

1. uprisemovement

uprisemovement Active Member

About 3 years ago I was recording at studio with my band and the producer has sort of amp cycle going on.

Basically from what I remember:
    - The guitar was going into the interface and recording on a track in clean with no effects.
    - I assume that this track was then being outputted from the interface and then going into an amp.
    - The amp led to the cap which was mic'd up and sent back to the interface to record another track.
    - Thus creating the ability to record a guitar, do all the edits on the clean track.
    Then in playback the amp would play itself, and you could focus on getting a good guitar tone, then eventually record that tone onto the other track as a final guitar tone.

Does anybody have any idea on how to do this? I assume its rather easy and I would love to play around with things on my interface to get the result. However the risk of breaking something tells me I shouldn't and should just ask professionals for help on the subject.
    I am running a Presonus Firestudio Project interface and using a Line 6 Bogner SpiderValve HD100 head.

Any help, advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

You need a device called a re-amp box. This takes a balanced line-level output from your interface and attenuates and conditions it to produce an unbalanced mid-level signal that can be put into a guitar amplifier. There are active (powered) and passive (unpowered) types to choose from. Many boxes perform transformer isolation to avoid ground loop problems.

Here is an example of such a box, but there are many different ones available from several manufacturers.