1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Guitar Rig - change tuning?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Trick, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Trick

Trick Guest

Hi, is it possible to change tuning of guitar in real time using native instruments guitar rig? For example, want to learn song that is down a half step. I want to plug into guitar rig and tell it half step down and off I go. So, this needs to be in real-time. It doesn't look like guitar rig could do this, maybe not possible for processing reasons. Any other programs out there?
    I understand that it probably is not possible to alter string tuning, but to drop the whole thing down a half step equally seems possible.

Also, why is the volume pot on guitar amplified ten times when adjusting. It's so scratchy and I don't hear this at all when I plug into an amp. The scratchy sound is louder than when playing.
  2. jg49

jg49 Distinguished Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Frozen Tundra of CT
    I have only used the trial version of Guitar Rig and I was not looking to do this but I doubt it will change your guitars tuning. The other more common way to do this is to use something like this
    This program moves the pitch of the recorded music to the key you are in, it also has the ability to slow down phrases up to 50% and still keep them in pitch. It's shareware so easy enough to try before you buy.
  3. prsnut

prsnut Active Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    I used GR3 for awhile and don't ever remember finding any sort of function similar to what you asked about.

I would like to throw this recommendation out, however. Many people that tune down a half or whole step do so to ease the tension on the strings making the bending process easier on their fingers. I don't see this tuning as having a sonic advantage as say Drop D or open G just to name a couple. I realize that wasn't the original question, and I apologize for getting off on a tangent.