1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

handheld mic for baritone

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Freeform, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Freeform

Freeform Guest

Hey guys. Does anybody know of a good handheld mic for a classical bass/baritone to use. I would buy a Neumann KMS105 ideally, but it's not in the budget, so I'm thinking a Shure Beta 87. Any suggestions?

2. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

I don't know, as I've never done it before, but I think a d112, or beta52, or re27, might do the job pretty ok.

Steve.

3. Guest

i suppose you could try those that Steve suggested, but they'd be a little awkward to hold in your hand. Not to mention kind of funny looking. (Plus you'd need to be pumping some iron before using the RE20 as a hand-held...) :p

4. Guest

sorry - double post (couldn't find delete button)

5. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Ha Ha dog.jr. I wasn't sure what was meant. I am trying to imagine playing a baritone, and holding a mic of any size! You know what else might work well, would be a lavalier mic. ??

I don't know. Perhaps we should clarify who will be holding this mic.

6. Guest

Steve -

now you've really managed to confuse me. when he said a handheld mic for a classical bass/baritone, I naturally assumed he was talking about a vocalist.

are you implying that in fact what he meant was a guy who plays double bass with one hand and a baritone horn in the other? And perhaps holds the mic with his feet? :eek:

(don't mind me. i'm practicing for my new potential gig as moderator of the "silly room".)

7. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

In that case I suggest akg 535.

A beta 52 would look weird, wouldn't it!

8. Freeform

Freeform Guest

haha. allow me to explain :) i am an entering freshman at Berklee College of Music, and my principal instrument is voice (being a baritone/bass). One of the requirements is bringing a microphone to use in performance, and I mainly sing classical music.

9. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Freeform! Sorry about my little brain fart. I noticed you were considering the beta 87. That's a great mic, and if you like it go for it. If you want, you can also look at akg 535, it's one of my faves for deeper vox live.

Steve.